Thread: Advice on preserving swamp

I would appreciate some advice. I would like to preserve a hundred or so acres I own on the Salkehatchie River from ever being logged. What are my options? Thanks in advance. Bob

Conservation easements will do it. Lowcountry Land Trust or The Nature Conservancy would be good places to start in your area.

One thing to think about though with timber. Preserving timber from the saw is no guarantee that it will be there for future generations. See the Chestnut Blight, Pine Beetle, or the Wooly Adelgid for examples. If you do an easement, be sure to include a disease/bug clause that will allow you or your heirs to market the timber in case such a disease hits. It would be rather foolish to see a lot of timber dollars wither, die, and rot to some blight or bug because "Grandaddy" didn't think to include a parachute in the binding easement...

Best bet is probably trying to get into the WRP program. This way you can get paid if the property qualifies. Other option is to give up the right to harvest timber in a conservation easement.

its your land, but what's wrong with limited logging?
    development is another thing.

I'm curious.....why is that so important to you?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Because its his land and that's what he wants to do with it.

When you go into the appraisal process, be sure to include the value on mining,commercial hunting,future developement, as well as certain timber applications. It will increase your tax benefit(write off).

You can always save a portion for a home site or two.

SCTIMBER Coots

Originally posted by Sportin' Woodies:
    its your land, but what's wrong with limited logging?
    development is another thing.
    While I am in the timber business, I don't agree with cutting everthing in sight. I'm curious as well.

Why not just discuss your options with your family, children and what objectives you want to accomplish on your land instead of enrolling with Nature Conservancy. Other than a possible tax break, I can't see the benefit.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you got into a tight situation (really tight) where you needed some funds quick like for medical emergencies, etc. would you still be able to harvest if it was enrolled with these conservation groups?

A neighbor of mine who was a large landowner set up his estate so that any money made from the property goes back into it. Kids can't go spend $30,000 on a new truck or blow what he worked his whole life to obtain. Might be something worth looking into.

Not knocking the conservation groups but I have heard several horror stories.

I applaud the man for even thinking of conserving his land! Too many landowners want the almighty dollar and could give a rats ass what happens. Hope everything works out well for him.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Originally posted by GMAC:
    Because its his land and that's what he wants to do with it.
    GMAC, you usually bring a little more to the discussion than that.

Fishingwithbob, I'm really just curious. I think the fate of riparian buffer on that system is important and it sounds like you are making a decision that will have a positive impact. Just wondering if that was part of your motivation.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Turkey roosts, habitat, habitat, habitat, erosion control, sheer beauty, etc. versus a clear cut for a quick buck, most of the time by a temporary owner. Look past the clear cuts on our river systems to the timber on the other side to see how it was. Bob Sanders

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anyone could ever hope to own." Andy Warhol

Hey Bob, you get my e mail?
    Scott Rhodes
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Fishingbob,

FWIW, I like the way you think! Post up more often ol boy!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Yeah, I guess that did sound a little simple-minded. I was trying to point out the bit of irony here. Usually, its the extractive industry guy lecturing the preservationist about property rights.