Thread: Native Grass Seed Sources

Does anyone know of a source of native grasses, partridge pea seed, small lespedezas, etc.? Looking to improve the quail habitat on a small piece of land and am looking for local seed sources, especially for the native grasses. Thanks.

Thanks, Catdaddy. Do you know of any SC distributors?

SLAYA,
    DON'T KNOW IF IT TRANSPLANTS WELL OR WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO TRY, BUT I HAVE PLENTY OF THE PEAS YOU COULD GET TO START OFF A PATCH OR TWO.
    MIKE

Nary Joe Wannamaker, at Wannamaker seeds in St. Matthews was a distrubutor for native grasses and wild flowers for a mid-west company. I got a good bit of switchgrass, big and little bluestem, indian grass and weeping love grass. I liked the switchgrass alot! Great quail cover and the deer used it. Just mow it to encourage growth. I don't recall the varieties, but would recognize them if i looked at the choices. The Clemson road research station (Extension) in Cola has done a good deal with qhich varieties fo the warm season grasses will adapt to our soils, climate.

Not many people actually plant them around here, but they have alot to offer for manageable, fast established cover and to some extent food sorces.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck