Thread: New Dove Field

We have about a six acre pasture that we would like to plant in order to hold a few dove hunts this fall. Given the small size, I'm not real sure what would be best to plant. Given the overall absence of deer in this neck of the woods, I'm thinking sunflowers and millet. Others swear by wheat up here. Anybody want to wegh in? The field is 6 acres, but we will not be planting a solid 6 acres. Way too hilly up here.

Millet!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Plant wheat early and leave it so you can have it around to "manipulate"...

plant it all in sunflowers may1.
    if the deer get some, youll have time to replant some browntop.

I had a similar 2 acre area (but with a shitload of deer) and blistered them with brown top...

if it's limed well and prepped well though I think sunflowers would do better. Maybe strips of both?

manipulated corn is a good thing to have out there too
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I defenitely want to plant some sunflowers. Maybe we'll do strips of millet, too. Thanks for the advice.

Pennington has a dove mix of Sunflowers, Dove Proso, Millet and I think some sorghum. Used it on a 15 acre field and loaded up through the first 2 seasons.
    I hope you guys have Hobo stab insurance!!

Sunflowers all the way. Where i hunt we have several fields, and i promise the birds will fly right by the corn and the millet to land in the sunflowers. If ya get the chance, get you a couple of old lightwires with powerpoles and stick'em out in the middle of the field. .
    If he's not close enough to shoot with 3" save your shells rubber heads!

Originally posted by bud-man:
    Sunflowers all the way. Where i hunt we have several fields, and i promise the birds will fly right by the corn and the millet to land in the sunflowers. If ya get the chance, get you a couple of old lightwires with powerpoles and stick'em out in the middle of the field. .
    I'm a firm believer in having a wire on the field for the birds.

I am probably too involved in dove hunting, but it's what we have (bird-wise) here in SC so that's where I spend the majority of my time and money. That being said, for the past several seasons I've noticed that sunflowers were the food of choice in the early seasons, while (burnt) browntop and "manipulated corn" were the foods of choice in the late season. I'm a member of three clubs, only one of the three had a lot of browntop and the majority of the late season birds were shot over it. This particular club and one other club are in the same county - the birds just decided to stick with the browntop and corn and left the sunflowers alone.

If I had a six acre field to plant I'd plant a third in sunflowers, a third in millet and a third in corn. Alternating rows would be, from the outside in, sunflowers, dirt, browntop, dirt, corn, dirt, etc.

Good luck with it, sorry to be so long-winded !
    Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I had a sales guy lock my keys in my truck on a friday afternoon at 5 pm...and told me to call a locksmith. i almost knocked his teeth out.
    Columbia DU Volunteer & member / supporter of Delta and FF