Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: great oportunity for sc

Originally posted by BigBrother:
    If it is important to you, MAKE THE PHUGGIN effort to do something about it and stop talking about it in a forum....where nothing will happen with it.
    I wanted to clarify this statement.

I am not in any way demeaning any member of this site in their efforts at preserving and protecting waterfowl/waterfowling.

My contention is that this website and forum is not just entertainment, it a great starting point for projects and getting outdoorsmen with like interests on board for bigger and better things in SC.

Personally, SCDucks has gotten me involved on an entirely new level...but the clincher is actually making it happen. Showing up and putting action to the words that are written here, (which, incidentally, many do, but many more do not).

Bogster, the aforementioned post was aimed at you. You whack the hell out of ducks. Do you put back into it what you get out of it? This item is important to you...are you going to take any other action than what you have written above?

Many people put more time, energy, and effort into waterfowl conservation than they do actually harvesting them.

Succinctly:
    There is so much that has been done for waterfowling in SC using SCDucks.com as a catalyst and starting point. Don't stop at making commentary in cyberspace...put actions to your words.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Very good points BB.

The site has birthed new organizations, brought old ones into new areas, and continues to provide leadership and volunteers for several organizations.

There are stages to becoming a conservationist, however. It starts with killing and you will find many of the "young guns" will come around to it with age...

Being one of the "young guns" mentioned above, let me know of anything I can do to help. I've already realized the importance of conservation in my young age.

drink lots of fluids and be ready to work your ass off putting wood duck boxes in Hickory Top WMA in mid-feburary.

then, get ready to work your ass off again at a Flyway workday. The tired feeling and the cold beer after those workdays are some of the best...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Originally posted by hammerdown:
    Being one of the "young guns" mentioned above, let me know of anything I can do to help. I've already realized the importance of conservation in my young age.
    If your not already I would start by looking into joining Flyway Foundation, Delta or DU.

I'll tell you what. Shoot me a PM and you can start helping Delta in a few weeks.

Already a DU member but probably going to join Delta soon being an advocate of predator control. I've been hearing about Flyway and have gone to the booth at the wildlife expo.

1. Would someone pm me some info on that? and
    2. Will ya'll be at the expo again this year? I'll be working it again this year so I'm not sure if I'll be able to come over and meet ya'll boys but I really would like to.

2th, coldbeer sounds good to me sir.

Hammers, or anyone else for that matter:

The Midlands Chapter of Delta Waterfowl will be installing 30 Wood Duck Structures at the Hickory Top WMA on Feb 9th, and 10th if neccesary.

This is a lot of back breaking work...muddy, miserable, but absolutely neccesary to get done if we want ducks nesting in them this year.

We will need four wheelers and some type of sled to haul the equipment. Old beat up Jon boats would be ideal. We have the materials...just need the hands and the backs.

While on the WMA, alcohol is discouraged, however, afterwards, feel free to imbibe and eat some groceries...thinking a good perleau, (chicken bog with extra goodies for you yanks)...but the menu is still open for discussion. Also, kids are encouraged to participate so long as they have a guardian with them.

Please reply if you can and will attend. Hope to see you out there.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

hammer---disregard my PM. i thought you were talking about the classic...not the Expo.

we will only be at the PSC in Columbia in march. check in here for details on a workday, though. I woudl expect that to be in may.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Good points BB.
    I will vow to help out as much as i can this year......
    seriously.
    I'm going to ask an employee of S-C on sunday, who we need to speak with so a meeting can be put in to place to discuss the vegetation situation.
    Its a shot in the dark, but he could point us in the right direction.
    We may not get anywhere, but its worth the conversation to try.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Bog, H.B. would be a better start. He will fill you in.

We are working on some thing things...bigger things beyond duck boxes...stay tuned.

Just got the memo bout a half hour ago.
    Thanks.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.