Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: great oportunity for sc

With the lakes so low now would be a perfect time to rebuild the hatchery dikes and plant mast producing shalow water tolerant trees , bushes or whatever may help the fish and ducks. Both lakes could be turned around now.
    easy livin'

Claimer, great idea.

How would you propose it happen?

It would be a great project for a waterfowl or conservation group to tackle. It would likely take permits from Santee Cooper...

Our chapter of Delta just adopted a wood duck project...

Anyone else?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

15yr sawtooths.
    I think the bigger issue would be for us to find a middle ground with S-C on a vegetation issue.
    the mudbanks out there will likely grow grasses this summer, but the water will stay barren or just grow algae.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

NEVER HAPPEN! Went to meetings in the late 90's and DU was going to put up 3 million and Santee Cooper the rest to do the job. DNR Fisheries Dept. struck it do because is was " a major spawning area on the lower lake" Bunch of BS in my book. Claimer, ask Miller White what he thought of the idea. Heard he's the one that struck it down. TD

I just read in the SC Sportsman magazine about a about a bass club doing some planting to help with fish spawning in the future. I do think it is a great idea. My question would be who would fund it?
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

Don't count on DU.
    S-C has to approve any aquatic vegetation, and you can bet thats not on the agenda in the near future.
    Thousands of new carp are to be added
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Time for Bowfishing for carp season
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I think this is the only time to fix things, Now Santee cooper calls anyone picking up pottery or old bottles lake looters, When did I become a lake looter. Picking up bottles is picking up trash right? As for fixing things for the fish and ducks, I think santee cooper would prefer a barron , biological desert, to create power. You know , easier to keep things running if there isn't any debries or such. Trash duck is smarter than he looks.
    easy livin'

and I guess Miller had power that even he didn't know about.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

In truth, this is our shot.
    Do we have to storm the doors of the castle and protest?
    Do we schedule a meeting, or attend an upcoming one?
    What kind of vegetation would ya'll suggest?
    coontail, eel grass, celery?
    The oak tree planting in the hatchery would be decided by dnr, but S-C has to approve aquatic vegetation?

in some ways miller sees things that the rest of us dont, honestly. which are more caught than shot here , think the fish have it and belive that may have been the reason he shot it down.dont think the stripers we have(stocked wise) would be here now if it was not for his work i dont eye to eye on some of agendas but hey what'cha going to do

Originally posted by btduckcall:
    but hey what'cha going to do
    Stop ticky tackying on the computer and make a phone call. If that doesnt work, make another one. As stated, I am already involved in projects up to our collective elbows.

If it is important to you, MAKE THE PHUGGIN effort to do something about it and stop talking about it in a forum....where nothing will happen with it.

Simple enough. If nothing happens, at least you know you tried to do something instead of just talking about it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB i have and had even objected my opinion to miller at a striper meeting, about killing all the grass , and he actually listened but when you have more money thrown out for nice homes along water areas who do you think that are going to help out, dont understand that and even brought that up , because hell i pay enough property tax on home, cars and business to match them at least i think i do , they seem to listem to the home owners more. i dont want to give up, it just seems we make an inch and then they gain a foot

It was Miller White's decision at the time. I've known him and grew up with his three sons two houses down. He's a fish biologist and makes decisions for fish on public waters. I expressed my thoughts at the meetings and in private. He told me flat out "IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!". We still had some ducks back then, and I could see where the lakes were headed. A lot of us at the meetings could see it, but Santee Cooper and DNR didn't give a shit to get it done. BTW, Guess who I found hundreds of arrowheads and ????? bottles with. Miller White... Check out the full indian burial urn at the Old Santee Cooper State Park. We found that to!! Talk about robbing a grave! haha

We may well have the worst management of natural resources of any state in the nation...

You got that right Trapper. Damn, don't get me started. It is all about the almighty Dollar. that ain't worth nothing against the Euro>
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Originally posted by BOGSTER:
    Don't count on DU.
    S-C has to approve any aquatic vegetation, and you can bet thats not on the agenda in the near future.
    Thousands of new carp are to be added
    Actually, you can count on DU. DU has put more moneys into the ground in SC than any other waterfowl organization (yeah, even SCWA, they like to put their money into ducks which only causes more problems for SC waterfowlers)... completing 3 projects in the past year, with three more scheduled through 2010.

(Disclaimer, I do not know how much moneys FF has put into SC so I'm not including them in the above paragraph. I know those fellas have been workin' their tails off and I'll be along side this year.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I had a sales guy lock my keys in my truck on a friday afternoon at 5 pm...and told me to call a locksmith. i almost knocked his teeth out.
    Columbia DU Volunteer & member / supporter of Delta and FF

wasn't meant to offend.
    just an opinion.

Originally posted by BOGSTER:
    wasn't meant to offend.
    just an opinion.
    No offense taken ! I wasn't trying to come "come back" with that post. Every chance I get I do my best to let folks know that DU does in fact fund projects in SC. You're right though, an initiative like this has a TON of red tape and legal crap associated with it. IF we could get permission to take advantage of the low water situation I would be interested to see if DU would help fund it... I definitely would view it as enhancing waterfowl and wildlife habitat, as well as wetlands restoration.

Too bad we can't just "rally the troops" outdoorsman and put in a few days of work. If we did, and the government found out about it, they'd more than likely spend millions un-doing what we did. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I had a sales guy lock my keys in my truck on a friday afternoon at 5 pm...and told me to call a locksmith. i almost knocked his teeth out.
    Columbia DU Volunteer & member / supporter of Delta and FF

Originally posted by TRASHDUCK:
    He told me flat out "IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!".
    Too many personal opinions make decisions in positions of influence.

Who is their boss?

Who is their boss's boss?

Hint hint.