Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lasik eye surgery...

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Yes. I've had ICL surgery and lasik. My eyes were so bad ICL didn't correct my vision completely with the strongest lense they make (-20) so I had lasik on top of the implants. I was -23 before surgery. Now 20/20 respectively.
    Durn, Ive had one as well. I've had a cornea transplant and a sclera graph also
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I had PRK about 5 years ago, courtesy of the Army...recovery is longer than LASIK, more discomfort involved, but the results are great. I'm 39, still at 20/20 each and 20/15 combined. I'll need readers in a few years, but I'd had it with glasses. When you add up $300-500 at least every 2 years for glasses, it makes sense to me.
    G

Don't ever trust government. Don't ever trust this sick society. Don't ever trust that law enforcement can protect you when you need it. -Duck Tape

I had PRK done as well - they wouldn't do LASIK as I'm in law enforcement. Well spent money.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I had it done way back when I posted this thread. 2nd best decision I've ever made. I need readers for small stuff up close but I can live with that.

How much y'all paying per eye now and where at? Place I was referred to in Charlotte was like $3k per eye. My eyes aren't terrible but bad enough to be aggravating and need contacts. Should I just deal with it until it gets worse then get lasik or go ahead and do it?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

How was recovery? I'm -6.5 in both eyes and blind as a bat. Been thinking about it for too long and need to make a move. I might take my contacts out 2x a month, for years. No issues to date, but I know they coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Can your vision continue to decline after having lasik? The reason I ask is because mine have gotten worse every year for the past 11 or 12 years or so. My left eye is now past the point of being corrected with contacts and my right eye isn't far behind it.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 09-25-2017 at 08:44 AM.

I went to TLC in Greenville because that's where my eye doc sent me. I get annual eye exams and so far so good with the exception of needing readers occasionally. I'm in a 1.25 set right now and even those are kind of strong. At TLC you get a lifetime guarantee as long as you maintain annual exams. If at any time my vision gets out of whack they will touch them up at no charge. I'm 5-6 years out and haven't needed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    How much y'all paying per eye now and where at? Place I was referred to in Charlotte was like $3k per eye. My eyes aren't terrible but bad enough to be aggravating and need contacts. Should I just deal with it until it gets worse then get lasik or go ahead and do it?
    wife's was 7k total, but she got the visian icl and not lasik....she went to dr chistenbury in charlotte....the entire experience was terrible

I had PRK done in March of this year. Went to get LASIK done, but wasn't a candidate due to my lenses being too thin. The recovery time is much longer than LASIK and it can takes weeks for your vision to get to 20/20. It took my eyes about 16 weeks for me to feel like it was the same with contacts. However, I was 20/15 with contacts and now I'm 20/10 and my vision is much sharper. Wish I would have done it 15 years ago.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    How was recovery? I'm -6.5 in both eyes and blind as a bat. Been thinking about it for too long and need to make a move. I might take my contacts out 2x a month, for years. No issues to date, but I know they coming.
    Get to steppin. Best money you'll ever spend
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    -6.5 isn't blind as a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Can your vision continue to decline after having lasik? The reason I ask is because mine have gotten worse every year for the past 11 or 12 years or so. My left eye is now past the point of being corrected with contacts and my right eye isn't far behind it.
    Yes...lasik, nor any other type of vision corrective surgery changes you eye...only your vision. Many doctors offer a "touch up" plan...basically it's insurance. A one time up charge fee before surgery for touch up lasik down the road. How old are you? You generally don't see vision changing that awful much after about 30. Sure, it changes, but that seems to be moving awful fast. And when you say not correctable by contacts...what do you mean? Are you nearsighted or farsighted? I was -23 and could correct my vision with contacts. Could I correct them with glasses...no. Not even my glasses I got from Germany were that good. Could I use soft contacts...nope, but rigid gas-permeable corrected my vision. They were a bear to wear...in and out every day, and painful sometimes, but they were contacts and I could see pretty good out of them.
    Last edited by reeltight; 09-25-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Yes...lasik, nor any other type of vision corrective surgery changes you eye...only your vision. Many doctors offer a "touch up" plan...basically it's insurance. A one time up charge fee before surgery for touch up lasik down the road. How old are you? You generally don't see vision changing that awful much after about 30. Sure, it changes, but that seems to be moving awful fast. And when you say not correctable by contacts...what do you mean? Are you nearsighted or farsighted? I was -23 and could correct my vision with contacts. Could I correct them with glasses...no. Not even my glasses I got from Germany were that good. Could I use soft contacts...nope, but rigid gas-permeable corrected my vision. They were a bear to wear...in and out every day, and painful sometimes, but they were contacts and I could see pretty good out of them.
    I'm 23 so I'm hoping my vision will stabilize in the next few years. For some reason we can't get my left eye to 20/20 with contacts or glasses but it's close. It could be due to the fact that I have an astigmatism or the brand of contacts that I wear. I can't wear the thinner contacts like most people have so right now I'm using Vertex toric lenses and they are kinda thick but unfortunately they are supposed to be discontinued around the first of the year.

I'm not sure how all the numbers work but my contact prescription currently reads (8.6 BC 14.4 DIA -2.50 PWR -1.25 CYL 090 AX) whatever all that means. I know I can't see the big E on the eye chart at the eye doctor and I can't recognize a persons face past 4 or 5 feet without contacts or glasses. It doesn't sound near as bad as yours was but it still sucks.

yall shouldve eaten more carrots growing up
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I'm 23 so I'm hoping my vision will stabilize in the next few years. For some reason we can't get my left eye to 20/20 with contacts or glasses but it's close. It could be due to the fact that I have an astigmatism or the brand of contacts that I wear. I can't wear the thinner contacts like most people have so right now I'm using Vertex toric lenses and they are kinda thick but unfortunately they are supposed to be discontinued around the first of the year.

I'm not sure how all the numbers work but my contact prescription currently reads (8.6 BC 14.4 DIA -2.50 PWR -1.25 CYL 090 AX) whatever all that means. I know I can't see the big E on the eye chart at the eye doctor and I can't recognize a persons face past 4 or 5 feet without contacts or glasses. It doesn't sound near as bad as yours was but it still sucks.
    That's not that bad. You'll be fine. In a few years your eyes will stop changing, get the surgery and be done with it. Buy the "touch up" insurance and every 4-5 years...if needed, touch'um up. I think you are good for like 3-4 times with lasik. After that...you'll be old enough that readers won't be so bad.

That's not that bad. You'll be fine. In a few years your eyes will stop changing, get the surgery and be done with it. Buy the "touch up" insurance and every 4-5 years...if needed, touch'um up. I think you are good for like 3-4 times with lasik. After that...you'll be old enough that readers won't be so bad.
    Thanks I never knew about the touch up insurance, I'll be sure to get that when I get the surgery hopefully in a few years.

My guy didn't have touch up insurance, he just guaranteed it for life.

Same with TLC group.

I don't know about all that. Like Woodie said, I don't know what all the #'s mean, but my "Power" is -6.5. I do know in the few times I've walked around without contacts in, I have hit a many'a door frame. Past 5" its all a blur...

Edit: Just saw where you said you were -23. Ho-Lee-Crap.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 09-25-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I am all but 44 and wear contacts -2.0 and Doc keeps telling me more e aren't bad enough for surgery. I don't need readers yet but I can tell it is coming. My problem is focusing on my bow sight and the target at the same time. We tried stronger contacts but it made it worse. Would lasik be worth the costs and cure this issue? Sure would be nice to shoot consistently at 50 yards and more.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan