Thread: SD card Recognition

Default SD card Recognition

I bought two 4 gb Sand disk cards for my moultrie trail camera and my home desktop doesn't recognize them when I put them in the card reader. Can't find them under "my computer" either. My desk top immediaitely recognizes the other 8 sd cards I use. They are mixed brands, but some are also sand disk cards.

The camera is taking pictures and putting them on the card. I can insert the new cards into a cheap camera and then download them from it, but that's a pain.

Any ideas?

CCLeroy gave me good info some time ago when I was having SD card problems.

Anybody?

Don't make me pm 2th doc for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Anybody?

Don't make me pm 2th doc for the answer.
    Have you formatted the cards with the camera you're using cat?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Only the newer cameras will take more than a 2GB card. I have several that won't use anything above 2GB.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 05-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Oops, reread the post. If the data is making it onto the card the computer should read it. Try a 2GB card with the camera and see if the computer takes it.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

That's right Cat make sure your models will accept the larger cards,you've been doing this long enough so I feel sure you know this however.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

It says it accepts up to a 4 gb card. I erase the card while in the camera, which formats it(I think).

It's taking pictures and I can read them by downloading them through another camera.

On my other SD cards, when I insert them into my computer, a screen appears with choices on whether I want to view or download them. They are working fine. Nothing happens when the new cards are inserted.

Thanks for the help. The cameras are out in the woods as of yesterday. I'll play with them when I switch out the cards later in the week.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

I have the same issues with certain cards sometimes... It's not your trail camera that's the problem. It's the card reader in the computer. Try getting a cheap USB SD card reader from wally world. They cost around $9. I have a laptop that will read certain types of cards only. The cheap USB reader solved my issues.

your camera's reader may be newer than the computer's sd reader. some sd card readers cant read sd-hc cards.

My dad has the same problem. The camera takes pictures and saves them to the card, but his laptop won't recognize the SD card when it's inserted into the computer.

He has to put the card into a camera and then download from the camera.

I'd be interested to hear a solution.

100% GUARANTEED if you buy the $9.00 USB SD Card reader from Wally World it will work.....

Cat look in control panel depending on OS look for admin tools or computer management... then disk management..... if you cannot see the disk under comp management it is most likely bad or incompatible.... if you can see it but doesnt show up to computer just right click it and setup/format....

SMALL NOTE..... If you have images that you WANT, do not follow this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Rye View Post
    Cat look in control panel depending on OS look for admin tools or computer management... then disk management..... if you cannot see the disk under comp management it is most likely bad or incompatible.... if you can see it but doesnt show up to computer just right click it and setup/format....