Bible Study Verse:

Ecclesiastes 3:1

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. (NIV)

Thoughts:

Whenever I guide an outdoor adventure trip, I never know what to expect.

I remember one time taking a ladies' group tubing on the Au Sable River in northern Michigan on a beautiful hot summer day. The trip would last about 2 hours. You could hear laughing and splashing as the women mounted their river tubes and began their float in the cool refreshing water. Fifteen minutes into the trip a sudden thunderstorm rolled in and caught us by surprise. The air temperature dropped what felt like twenty degrees and the pounding downpour chilled us to the bone.

A similar occurrence happened on a men's tubing trip this year. I remember another time when I went whitewater rafting with a group of teens on the New River in West Virginia. An extremely intense thunderstorm overtook us half way through our adventure. It became an even bigger adventure when lightning bolt after lightning bolt lit up the canyon and the roar from the thunder drowned out any sound of the raging river. We didn't even really know where to take cover. Should we pull off and hide under huge trees or stay in the middle of the river exposed? (Michael T)

Action Point:

Based on the words of the author of Ecclesiastes there is a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to reap, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to keep silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, and a time for war and a time for peace.

Even as I write this devotional I find myself having to deal with a time to keep silent and a time to speak. Sometimes there are things that we have to do in life that are difficult. It may be confronting someone who is in the wrong, or maybe going to someone to confess.

If you find that God keeps pressing on your heart the right thing to do, no matter how difficult it may be, you must trust God and do what He says.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

When engaging in water activities such as canoeing, kayaking, or river tubing you need to be prepared and realize there is always time for rain and a time for sun Order online or go to your favorite sporting-goods store and purchase a dry bag to keep your valuables and an extra change of clothes dry. Even if you don't plan to get wet, there is always the possibility. You may flip your boat or a sudden thunderstorm may appear out of nowhere.