Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave this dude a ride in my truck today

If it wasnt for Delta's predator management many of our ducks would be scat on the prairie.

If I take the time to set a trap for a souped up rodent, I dont plan on perpetuating the problem.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

i highly doubt the yolk is learnin any "fundamentals" while the coon is lappin it up with his tongue.
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”
    --Bob Hinman, The Duck Hunter’s Handbook, 1974

Well now, finally something I can talk about. I catch on an average 10 to 15 coons a month, there was a few months I caught 30ish. I relocate some, some I give to coon hunters to train their dogs and most I give to a guy that eats them. He has a frezer full. I also catch alot of possums and skunks, those I release back into the woods. Oh I also catch a fox every now and then and in the summer I have a alot of call for snakes. I try to relocate said animals because if I kill them I still have to get them out of my traps and clean the blood out of them so its just easier to let them go.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsHuntingDuke View Post
    Well now, finally something I can talk about. I catch on an average 10 to 15 coons a month, there was a few months I caught 30ish. I relocate some, some I give to coon hunters to train their dogs and most I give to a guy that eats them. He has a frezer full. I also catch alot of possums and skunks, those I release back into the woods. Oh I also catch a fox every now and then and in the summer I have a alot of call for snakes. I try to relocate said animals because if I kill them I still have to get them out of my traps and clean the blood out of them so its just easier to let them go.
    Cut em loose and shoot them on the run. Problem solved.

Sounds good and even though Im a firearm instructor i dont believe I would be such a marksman with a 40 Glock on a moving target so small, plus I have to account for my ammo. I do have a dart gun to put them to sleep, then I could take them out and cut their throat or chke them out.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

A few years back I had scouted one of swamps and it was holding a shit load of wood ducks. Tot and I show up on opening morning to hunt and the water that was there 2 days before was gone. Gone out the 6' wide gaping ass hole that was in the damn....

Traps were set in the gaping ass hole and there were 3 live traps on the back side of the dam and 2 of them held coons. I was pissed!

I put the dog on a leash to keep her from getting in one of the conibear traps. Obviously the dam was broken the day before as the shit ton of ducks showed up and were confused as hell about where the damn water went. Nuisance animal dude shows up I go over and talk to him. he was very apologetic about barging in on our hunt and I let him know it was fine with me, he was only doing what he was paid to do. He was there for the coons and had one of those noose sticks like animal control uses on dogs and a burlap sack....I didn't have any faith in him so I told him if a coon got loose that I was gonna blast that fucker into next month.

Well, coon #2 gets loose and comes barrel assing down the dam towards me. I couldn't shoot due to the location of nuisance man and his whoopin' boy so I kicked the SOB with all I had. Damn thing went somersaulting out into the little water that was left. I promptly sank his ass with a load of Kent. Nuisance man just laughed and took his one coon and left.
    Last edited by Tater; 02-09-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsHuntingDuke View Post
    Sounds good and even though Im a firearm instructor i dont believe I would be such a marksman with a 40 Glock on a moving target so small, plus I have to account for my ammo. I do have a dart gun to put them to sleep, then I could take them out and cut their throat or chke them out.
    I have an H&R Model 950 that I can load up with CB Shorts and they won't exit a coon's skull from point blank range....you need to look into that setup

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Cut em loose and shoot them on the run. Problem solved.
    The first time I shot a pistol, I was working at the club and we had caught a possum in the trap.

Ol' Eddie handed me this tiny little pistol from his back pocket and explained the game plan. He throws the possum out of the trap, I shoot it. Ready Set...

I shot (at) that possum twice and it took off and I take off running after it shooting. It finally gets into a little hole under some tree roots.

"Eddie, its still alive!"
    "Well then shoot it"

I shoot the rest of the magazine at this possum as its just hissing at me.

Get back in the truck, all amped up from the experience, Eddie just looks at me and says "Well, did you get it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Pellet (from the Benjamin Sheridan) in the ear hole, and dump 'em out before he gets to slangin' blood everywhere..Take pictures in tube socks. Not too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

Well, coon #2 gets loose and comes barrel assing down the dam towards me. I couldn't shoot due to the location of nuisance man and his whoopin' boy so I kicked the SOB with all I had. Damn thing went somersaulting out into the little water that was left. I promptly sank his ass with a load of Kent. Nuisance man just laughed and took his one coon and left.
    that's hilarious. I had a possum do that one time to me I did one them soccer kicks and the sucker flew straight to my buddy who was do some gay dance move and screaming like a little girl. Luckily it missed and he sent it to meet its maker and considered doing the same to me.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by SCdeerBASSturkey View Post
    Pellet (from the Benjamin Sheridan) in the ear hole, and dump 'em out before he gets to slangin' blood everywhere..Take pictures in tube socks. Not too complicated.
    well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    that's hilarious. I had a possum do that one time to me I did one them soccer kicks and the sucker flew straight to my buddy who was do some gay dance move and screaming like a little girl. Luckily it missed and he sent it to meet its maker and considered doing the same to me.

you guys are all just wrong, yall dont get it. you shouldnt be killin all these valuable animals in our ecosystem.
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”
    --Bob Hinman, The Duck Hunter’s Handbook, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    If it wasnt for Delta's predator management many of our ducks would be scat on the prairie.
    This is true.
    But the real need is prairie land conservation.

Predator management wouldn't be needed if the prairies hadn't been developed for farming.

Nature is perfect.
    The Balance will reset itself.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    We were looking for Gideon's Bible
    I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

To hell with a possum. I hate those sumbitches with everything in me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by SCdeerBASSturkey View Post

It's Captain Tube Socks to the rescue.....

Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 02-10-2011 at 08:35 AM.

id love to have this fellas number with the oysters. hell i caught 9 out of my woodie hole in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Relocation=return business for said nuisance operator.... Have seen it first hard many times....

Mobetter, you think DNR can regulate the nuisance wildlife control operators in this state? They can't even manage their own checkbook! Fact, if you want to be a nuisance wildlife professional in SC, we you can, just get the business cards to prove it. One would think that you would need to be bonded by the state to deal with anything resources related, not so...

Tater a know a certain fella down here that would trade you out a bushel of oysters for him.

I don't like blood on my traps either. That's why I use the pond method. A plastic barrel works just as well.