Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 Straight Limits

You're glad they have their ways and you're glad you have yours....but you judge their ways and say that they are "missing something" and you "pity them"?

These guys are much older than you and you know nothing more about them than the fact that they have killed a limit on 500 straight hunts. Do you know that they didn't blindly go out in the Texas marsh with a double gun and shot only ducks that banked at a 27 degree angle while coming from the SSE? No, you know nothing about them.

Do you keep a journal?

Certainly an impressive streak, but I agree with Rubberhead. To me a limit of birds is a wonderful thing. I hunt public waters, it doesn't happen too often. But it certainly isn't the goal when I hit the water, I'd rather have 4 well decoyed good ducks than 6 trash ducks. Could've finished my 6 yesterday with a ruddy swimming in the decoys, decided the 5 I had wouldn't be improved any, nor would I feel better about my day by shooting that 6th duck.

From their comments it seems like a good many of those limits were filled with trash ducks. Just seems like when the goal is 6 all standards go out the window.

"And the choice of duck species suffered some. Most hunts lasted less than 30 minutes, but some were more difficult.

“We’ve shot plenty of spoonies,” Perry said. “And ruddy ducks.”"

This stuck out at me...Are the hunts so short because they aren't waiting on quality birds?
    I'm sure they had plenty of great hunts, but I'm betting they ended many mornings with their early limit of questionable birds when they could've waited around, maybe not shoot 6 but shoot good quality ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    No, you know nothing about them.
    I know exactly what's in the story - that for 416 straight trips their singular purpose was to shoot a limit. I don't envy them, I pity them. I'm sorry that it so offends you.

If I could take it back and make you feel better I would. I'll be more careful next time I comment on something. I hate that you're going to be sad all day because of my words and actions.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I watched some guys on the coast the other day shoot bootlip after bootlip after bootlip. All the while, bigducks were dying to get to where they were blowing the world away. Those guys left their blind as happy as lottery winners, with a string of ducks a cat wouldn't eat. They could not have cared less what that strap might have looked like. Have you ample pity left for them, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I know exactly what's in the story - that for 416 straight trips their singular purpose was to shoot a limit. I don't envy them, I pity them. I'm sorry that it so offends you.

If I could take it back and make you feel better I would. I'll be more careful next time I comment on something. I hate that you're going to be sad all day because of my words and actions.
    Ahhhh, that's so sweet of you.....I'm not sad because of you, I'm sad for you.

You have a principal you live by and guide your hunts by and that's great. You feel you're doing the right thing then so be it, but don't pity someone because they don't have your same principals. They are as justified in their principals as you are in yours....live and let live, judge not, lest ye be judged.....
    Last edited by Tater; 01-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Ahhhh, that's so sweet of you.....I'm not sad because of you, I'm sad for you.
    Oh, that's thoughtful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 01-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.

beat em down, shoot limits, keep score, don't keep score, put the gun down, hold onto the gun......is all how YOU hunt. Everyone is out for what they want out of a hunt and opinions are not really warranted....nor requested.

judge not lest you be judged.

I have found in my short existence, that trying to use logic with these cats and tell them how you really feel is a waste of bandwidth, everyone sees it how they want to see it and that is that, trying to type it out will just get your balls busted, because no one really cares how the other one sees it.

we some judgmental sons a bitches......

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I watched some guys on the coast the other day shoot bootlip after bootlip after bootlip. All the while, bigducks were dying to get to where they were blowing the world away. Those guys left their blind as happy as lottery winners, with a string of ducks a cat wouldn't eat.
    spoonies rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

RH--I get it. I may not follow along the exact same mindset, but I get it.

Most days, I go out to try to kill a limit, but it's something that I've rarely done. I don't have the means to hunt as often as I would like or all the places I would like to. Any time I can hunt a new location with the high hopes of greater bird numbers, I get excited. The thought of taking a species that I haven't taken before gets me even more excited. Maybe if I had the skill/knowledge/means to obtain a limit more often I wouldn't be so "limit-oriented," if that makes any sense. Where's that poll about "What stage of duck hunting are you in?"

I love duck hunting. The few times I get to go, I try to enjoy every aspect of the hunt. If I take one or six, I am happy. If I take none, well......nobody likes to get skunked. What I do harvest I have earned. I wasn't brought up duck hunting like some of you. For that, I am envious. I started late in the game and have tried to learn everything I can to be successful, but trust me when I tell you that my learning curve ain't hittin' on much.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 01-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Anybody got doubts as to the veracity of this story? Oh yeah, it's on the Internet, must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    Are the hunts so short because they aren't waiting on quality birds?
    I'm sure they had plenty of great hunts, but I'm betting they ended many mornings with their early limit of questionable birds when they could've waited around, maybe not shoot 6 but shoot good quality ducks.

U guys kill me. Wtf is a "quality duck"?!?! Who gives a flying fuck what kinda ducks they shot? I mean u guys that think a damn wild mallard is the only duck that exists are fuckin retards. A duck is a duck. Period! You people must live a miserable existance the way y'all look down on people for shooting a spoonie or a woodduck or a ruddy duck or bufflehead or whatever. Duck hunting is about having a good time in the outdoors. If killing one mallard makes u happy then shoot one mallard and shut the fuck up! Jeez.
    Last edited by trentsmith; 01-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.

U guys kill me. Wtf is a "quality duck"?!?! Who gives a flying fuck what kinda ducks they shot? I mean u guys that think a damn wild mallard is the only duck that exists are fuckin retards. A duck is a duck. Period! You people must live a miserable existance the way y'all look down on people for shooting a spoonie or a woodduck or a ruddy duck or bufflehead or whatever. Duck hunting is about having a good time in the outdoors. If killing one mallard makes u happy then shoot one mallard and shut the fuck up! Jeez.
    X2

pintail, canvasback, spoonie or ruddy = D U C K
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I'm still trying to figure out what they did wrong or illegal.

I'll admit at times, my limit conforms to the hunt (woody hunts, targeting a black, etc.). Maybe all in all we have similar ethics, I've laid my gun down and watched the birds pitch. I've also picked it back up and shot.

I didn't say they were right, but they dang sure ain't wrong. If its a numbers game that floats their boat, so be it. We all have our "limits" theirs was defined by law, you others make them up as you go. Then hold your noses up at them for excercising their right to the hunt. Therein lies my problem here.

Shooting and releasing tamies is legal, yet most of us hold our noses up to the tamie releasers.

Do I pity two old men that are stuck in the Shooter stage? Yeap.

It's the equalent of a South Carolinian shooting every deer he sees, or filling his five tags with jakes. Both very legal, neither worthy of much respect.

Of course you go out to kill a limit. That's what keeps you coming back.

Some folks get pissed when they don't. They are the impoverished ones. I've seen them and had to listen to their bitching and moaning.

Some thank God for the day, and relish just having had the chance to go. These are the ones that "get it".

Jab - you make the point perfectly. The spoonbill hunters were happy with what they had. The fact that they weren't class A big ducks didn't spoil anything for them.

But I have this question. If killing ducks is killing ducks, then what is wrong with tamies? Its a value judgement, is it not?

And I have an observation. I suspect that the reason you could read old duck club records for hours is the history, the differences in the bags from day to day, year to year, decade to decade. How many pages would you read if every entry was "50 mallards"?

Shame on two old men for actually going hunting to kill ducks...

Our state is full of "duck hunters" that dont want to kill ducks when they go duck hunting.... They go to hear them selves call, alot, if they pass shoot a woodie or hell maybe even a cormorant, they feel like they have had a successful hunt... Sometimes they are so against killing a limit they will intentionally shoot at ducks before they come into range, because it would hurt their feelings if they killed more than one per trip....

I think yall call them rubberheads on this site.........ironic?

I say anything about Mallards? I see your point that a duck is a duck and I also see your point that quality is in the eye of the beholder. To me a quality duck is something that you can serve on the dinner table without having to marinade, wrap in bacon, over season etc...
    If I could shoot 6 teal everyday I would. In my mind quality of ducks is directly proportional to taste, other factors include beauty/ease of decoying/killing, relative rarity etc...

My point is how often did these guys shoot ruddy ducks or spoonies to fill their limit just so they could pat them selves on the back for shooting 6 ducks. I guess if that is what they find meaningful about duck hunting so be it...just doesn't make sense to me. For hunters that obviously spend a lot of time in the blind I would think that their are greater rewards than a limit. Some of my favorite hunts have resulted in only partial limits or not even pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Shame on two old men for actually going hunting to kill ducks...

Our state is full of "duck hunters" that dont want to kill ducks when they go duck hunting.... They go to hear them selves call, alot, if they pass shoot a woodie or hell maybe even a cormorant, they feel like they have had a successful hunt... Sometimes they are so against killing a limit they will intentionally shoot at ducks before they come into range, because it would hurt their feelings if they killed more than one per trip....

I think yall call them rubberheads on this site.........ironic?
    Rubberheads aren't real. They're a made up quantity used to explain those occasions when we get skunked or fall short of a limit.