Thread: An alternative end of the season hunt...

Default An alternative end of the season hunt...

...for here in Illinois.

As I didn't have any invites for today and temps started out at 9 degrees this morning, I decided to try one last time on the last day of the upland season (north zone) for (wild) pheasants not expecting much. Well 20 minutes later and three spent shells we were headed home!

Sitting here in my Jeep watching the winds whip through and temps at 20 degrees, I feel extremely fortunate....just wish I could have closed it with this dogs brother - Chunk.

He has diabetes and our opening day hunt in November just about killed him. I miss hunting with the "Chunkster" but Star (his sister) is doing pretty good in her own right.

These two are for you Chunk! A picture from our last waterfowl hunt a year ago...

That's proper. Pheasants are my favorite.
    Last edited by Fish; 01-08-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Good job Z...Hunting with a good dog is special.
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Thanks! I have been on two hunts with Star this season (only went four times total) and both were (amazingly done in 20 Minutes! Trust me, it is seldom ever like that...

What was more amazing was I killed them both with one and then two shots - and the second two were taken at him heading away at 40 yards with the one that brought him down. I was doggone lucky...

And this was with a temp of 18 degrees and NW winds of nearly 13 MPH or so...

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    Good job Z...Hunting with a good dog is special.
    When Chunk was just 11 months old I took him and his Dad (JJ) to North Dakota and on the last day when the temps had frozen most waters, I finally connected on my Tundra Swan permit but sailed the bird over the hill in front of us.

Chunk followed that bird all the way (maybe 150 yards or more) and brought back a live (crippled) bird.

He has the heart of a pack of Labs and I missed taking him this season. I feel guilty for pushing him that opening day for pheasants that severely hurt him and he is still recovering 60+ days later...
    Last edited by zettler; 01-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.

That is a healthy yella dog.
    Good work on the pheasants as well.
    Last edited by mohill; 01-08-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mohill View Post
    That is a healthy yella dog.
    Good work on the pheasants as well.

You think she is healthy, you should have seen her Father! I let JJ go after the pups were born as I was too caught up in life's issues. He developed diabetes (we discovered its in his bloodline and my letting him get fat didn't help) and we lost him two years ago.

This is one of my favorite pictures of the trio at our backdoor and thought I would share it here...I think you can tell they ALL loved the snow!

Nice job man, some fine table fare you got there.
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”
    --Bob Hinman, The Duck Hunter’s Handbook, 1974

Good stuff Z-man!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Well done Zet!

Those are some good looking yellow dogs there. I love a yellow, they've always been my favorite. I don't know why unless it's because my first retriever was a yellow. Since then I've always kept a yellow dog, although I did have 2 blacks over the years but sold them both in their prime.

One of those blacks was the prettiest black I have ever seen. I bred a yellow bitch of mine and she threw a mixed litter. One of the black bitches I kept for 2 years and she was a beaut! Perfect muscling and she had golden eyes. She had that 'look' that belonged on a magazine cover, awesome eyes that sparkled surrounded by all that black. They looked like they had a light shining through them.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-08-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Good job Zet.

Never been pheasant hunting, it sure looks like fun.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Good Job on the pheasant. Good story about your dogs.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Good job Zet.

Never been pheasant hunting, it sure looks like fun.
    It's a little like quail hunting only these birds either burst out way in front of you this late in the season or right under your feet and scare the cr@p out of some....

It was pretty brisk out there today but this two-eyed fat man persevered!