Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Default Is it just me?

I have hunted the santee rivers since I was in early middle school and now I am a sophmore in highschool. I have hunted everywhere on the santee the ocean, creeks, on the open river and every year its the same type stuff where no matter how well me and my friends call or how well the decoy spread is the ducks dont give a shit. Is it because there is more private lands and impoundments in the area for them to go to, because I dont think its because they are too smart to come in range. When I go with people on the edisto river or quimbee we get them to decoy or at least come in range to take a look at the spread.

yes...it is most definitely you.

It is just you.

Get you some black cloud, 3 1/2" BB's and the special black cloud choke tube, and you wont have to worry about birds being in range or not.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You need to run at least three spinners. Put one on each side of your spread, and just downwind of your landing hole.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

If your referring to the spinners as mojos then yes they worked great for me the first two weeks of the season down towards the ocean. After that it just scares the shit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by duckfolder View Post
    I have hunted the santee rivers since I was in early middle school and now I am a sophmore in highschool. I have hunted everywhere on the santee the ocean, creeks, on the open river and every year its the same type stuff where no matter how well me and my friends call or how well the decoy spread is the ducks dont give a shit. Is it because there is more private lands and impoundments in the area for them to go to, because I dont think its because they are too smart to come in range. When I go with people on the edisto river or quimbee we get them to decoy or at least come in range to take a look at the spread.

Yeah yall must be slaughtering those 1 or 2 woodducks that might come close

Are you over calling?

Hard to beat some simple quacks.....and maybe a greeting call

DONT LOOK UP!!! Keep ya head down, make sure you dont have anything that could cause em to spot you, is your boat hid good?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Are you over calling?

Hard to beat some simple quacks.....and maybe a greeting call

DONT LOOK UP!!! Keep ya head down, make sure you dont have anything that could cause em to spot you, is your boat hid good?
    we pull the boat up in the marsh(the boat is camoed with paint too) and as the morning progresses we call less and less

Start out calling less, like I said a couple quacks and maybe a greeting call

Brush your boat in.....Im guessing you are hunting on the bank, if so find you some bushes to get down in and stay hid.

Them suckers can see like crazy so sit ya butt still when you see one and look from under the brim of yur ballcap........you go to looking up and you will flare em all.

Dont run a mojo, rig you up a jerk string, its simple and takes a couple minutes.

Make it look real.

Walk through the spread before sun up to muddy up the water, makes it look like they are in there feeding.

WORK at it you will get em to come in
    Last edited by quack head 11; 01-02-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Duckcrazed, BigBrother, Rubberhead, Jimmel....you're in good hands on this thread dude so I'll leave it alone and let these men handle it

You gotta call more and louder than everybody else if u wanna decoy ducks.

I tell you what Trent. Il take your advice and set up right beside you so you can have alllll the ducks that will be comin in cause of you're great advice

Hahaha ok.

you take that advice and no one within a 10 mile radius will have a chance.

duckfolder, are you referring to the big ducks flying in a V that are landing in the land-locked water holes? The ducks that are smart enough to go where there are no hunters?

what HS you go to?

Yes i am
    There is just as much hunters in rice hope, cane island, and the wma's as there is hunters spread out in the whole santee river area. I would say they have just as good of a chance to live if they landed in random places in the public area as they do in the private and goverment area. Also I dont think they are smart enough to pin point days when they are not hunting.

ill ask again, what hs you go to?

also, there are no more ducks up around quinby.

HS?

highschool.