Thread: Hoppin' Johns....

Default Hoppin' Johns....

Along the lines of Art's post about collards, what do y'all do with hoppin' johns? Mine is pretty simple- onion, black eyes, bacon, rice, red pepper, salt, texas pete...

Anybody have any "fancy" johns they serve up?

Cook your rice in chicken stock, add seeded/diced jalapeño pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes & some stewed tomatoes. Cornbread on the side.

I do have a recipe for a Hoppin' John salad & one for Hoppin' John chowder, if you are interested.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Mucho gracias mi amiga.

I think I'll try the addition of some jah lap e no's and maybe some 'maters.

You're in the "food" world- any idea on where to find san marzana tomatoes? I've got several recipes that call for them specifically and have as of yet been able to source them locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
    Cook your rice in chicken stock, add seeded/diced jalapeño pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes & some stewed tomatoes. Cornbread on the side.

I do have a recipe for a Hoppin' John salad & one for Hoppin' John chowder, if you are interested.
    Yes ma'am. And I still want to know about that Christmas breakfast casserole, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Gumbo View Post
    You're in the "food" world- any idea on where to find san marzana tomatoes? I've got several recipes that call for them specifically and have as of yet been able to source them locally.
    Ethnic section of grocery store (Italian) OR an Italian market/deli. Most Italian deli's sell the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    Yes ma'am. And I still want to know about that Christmas breakfast casserole, too!!
    Oops! I will get on that today.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

HOPPIN' JOHN SALAD

2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
    3 cups cooked long-grain rice
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded/minced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
    1/4 cup fresh mint, loosely packed
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    *fresh diced or quartered tomatoes, if desired & to taste*
    *crumbled bacon if desired & to taste*
    *Gorgonzola cheese, if desired & to taste*
    *Crumbled cornbread/croutons, if you like*

Combine peas, rice and next three ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.

Place herbs & garlic on a cutting board, and sprinkle evenly with salt. Finely chop herbs and garlic. Sprinkle herbs over rice mixture, and stir gently; set aside.

Combine lemon juice, oil and pepper. Stir into rice mixture - add extra toppings. EAT!

Soup/Stew/Chowder??? Call it what you like!

1# bulk pork sausage (hot, spicy, cajun, sage, mild, whatever)
    1# ground beef
    2 large red onions, chopped
    4 cups beef broth
    3 15-½ oz. cans black-eyed peas, washed & drained
    1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes & green chilies, [Rotel], undrained
    1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
    4 tsp molasses
    1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp salt.
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp cumin

In a large dutch oven or stock pot cook the sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic until the meat is done. Drain liquid from pot.

Add other ingredients to pot & cook on low heat for two hours.

Serve over cornbread or rice.