Thread: wifi booster

Default wifi booster

At one end of the house is the big desktop and the wireless router to ffed the rest of the house.

All this was fine as long as my laptop was the only thing digging in on the wireless. Now we have 2 iPods, a zune, this laptop, an xbox 360, cell phones, a Wii used for movies.......and who knows what the dogs are doing.

The problem is me. With everyone else using all that crap it seems the laptop gets the signal last. I think I need something more powerful or something else to strengthen the signal. ANd if I watch a movie, the Wii bogs down on occasion.

Oh, and did I mention the extra walls the laptop signal has to go through? It can't reach the kitchen which I have more or less found a quiet spot.

The current router is a Dlink 802.11 2.4 GHS wirelss router. Can I do better?

Would a repeater help? What kind?

Thanks.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I think that is a G type router if you move to an N type that will help with the speed. Also with a newer router you may get mor range not sure though.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12150

This is the one I have and I get serious range with it.
    In the morning be first up, and in the evening last to go to bed, for they that sleep catch no fish. ><)))*>

can you run another line to the other side of the house? or at least in the middle of the house? if so, buy another router (and use it as an access point) or buy an access point and have it as a second and get wireless off of both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremeduty View Post
    I think that is a G type router if you move to an N type that will help with the speed. Also with a newer router you may get mor range not sure though.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12150

This is the one I have and I get serious range with it.
    thats not totally accurate, i dont think. N will help as long as your laptop has an N card also, but if you hook up a bunch of B or G devices, the wireless device may not broadcast N at all.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    can you run another line to the other side of the house? or at least in the middle of the house? if so, buy another router (and use it as an access point) or buy an access point and have it as a second and get wireless off of both of them.
    I could probably drill a hole or two in the floor and run something underneath. For that matter I could move some things around a bit except for the road runner router is at the far end of the house. Dard Road Runner folks have enough cable under the house to about move everything to my neighbors. But my spouse wants HER new desktop where it is so I am somewhat limited.

I may really look into drilling a hole or two and extend the wireless down the house. I could get phoneman or dukhntr over here on a bribe to hook cables. Heck, I may end up with a free service......

I need to find out what card is in the laptop.....BUT what about all thise ither darn devices?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I got a range extender for my system. I think it was $100 maybe $150 from Best Buy, Linksys. I now get signal in my office which is located over three hundred feet away from the wifi router. Not to mention is it also going though several interior and 2 exterior walls to get to my office located in shop away from the house. This was a quick fix that has been working great for over a year now.

rp, the length of the cable line feeding the modem is not your issue. If it was all devices on the interweb in the house would be affected. As long as the RR modem gets the correct downstream/upstream signal, you're good. From any computer on the network, you can punch in 192.168.100.1 into your browser bar and it will pull up the info on the modem. Downstream could work anywhere from +15 to -15dB, upstream should be anywhere from 30 to 50, any higher than 50 you're prolly gonna have issues.

But none of that will solve your wireless prob. Like you said, you'd have to either run another coax line, move the modem/router to a more central location in the house, then run a cat5 to your wife's desktop, or do the research and find in that N wireless would benefit you.

Lemme know if I can help.

Good luck.
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-01-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Buy your own modem and Uncap it. Plenty of forum sites to teach you how.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot-Killer View Post
    Buy your own modem and Uncap it. Plenty of forum sites to teach you how.
    yeah, no.

first, this has nothing to do with boosting reception.
    second, youre an idiot.

Make sure your antennae is positioned vertically. The signal from an antennae is shaped like a flattened doughnut. A higher gain antennae will flatten the doughnut and give you farther horizontal range but less penetration in upper or lower floors. If the antennae is canted, it can cause you to lose range.

OK. I hate adding new equipment during tax season but I finally caved. I put an N router in at the house. In particular a Cisoc E3000. It will still run the G stuff which is what everything else is.

My reception at the devices is MUCH better all over the house and probably the neighborhood. And to think the folks in Orangeburg thought it was radiation from Japan.....

The Wii running the Netflix is even much better. I have not checked out the details from the pron channels just yet.

And by the way, I am finding out I am technologically superior to my kids. They went to my office and did not know what a typewriter was. Seriously. And it was an electric model.

Cost was $171 with tax.

And that should be Cisco.
    Last edited by rp; 04-04-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spailling

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Make sure your antennae is positioned vertically. The signal from an antennae is shaped like a flattened doughnut. A higher gain antennae will flatten the doughnut and give you farther horizontal range but less penetration in upper or lower floors. If the antennae is canted, it can cause you to lose range.
    I was about to purchase a bigger antennae but splurged instead.

I have an extra router if anyone is interested. I would have to find the disk to install.
    Last edited by rp; 04-04-2011 at 08:26 PM.

what model router?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    That's a crock of shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    That's a crock of shit!
    it was one of their april fools jokes.

I didn't read all the responses, but the wii would do the best if its hard wired. No delay with movies etc. Wireless isn't affected as bad as hardwired with bandwidth. Walls are the biggest problem with cordless phones and microwaves causing the rest of the interferance. If your router and phone both transmit at 2.4 ghz then sometimes you can change the channel on the phone or router. If you need help with the hardwiring etc, give me a shout.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Somebody answer me this? Why and the Hell am I still on dial-up? I got people next door and around the lake that have to buy repeater deals and they still tell me it sucks. Got some on the wildblue shit and they tell me it SUCKS unless you go top dog that is kinda pricey for us poor people. But can take a laptop with a card and see what you are looking at on yours if you are close? Screwed up ain't it?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    it was one of their april fools jokes.
    That was one of my jokes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    That was one of my jokes...
    it wasnt funny.