Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Chevy transfer case problem

Default 2005 Chevy transfer case problem

I have a 2005 chevy 1500 5.3L, and the transfer case I believe has gone to the crapper, (leaking fluid, makes a knocking/ticking noise while driving, and the fluid smells burnt). Now what call to make drop $2,000 bucks on a new one with a 3 year warrenty or buy a used one for around $500 bucks and roll with it? Anyone else experienced these problems with your truck?? oh yeah its an electronic 4 button np 246 transfer case, thanks for your input!
    "run and gun guide service"

dieselplace.com search the drivetrain section for "pump rub".

Just because you have a 1500 with the 246 TC doesnt mean it cant happen to you as well. In fact one of the threads over there was of a 246. If you dont have the hole in it yet I would do it yourself and save the money.

Here is how to do it............. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140732

here is what you should need. http://www.merchant-automotive.com/t...grade-kit.aspx

You can thank me later.
    I think there is a fix for it. Hold on let me search.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-09-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Same truck 04 model. No trans case problems, but left wheel bearing went out, and push button sensor went out.

Depending on funds I'd go with the $500 fix

Had a used one put in my 05 tahoe when the plug was left out. That was about 50k miles ago and had no problems with it

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Mine had the pump rub issue that is well known on the net, but the dealer had not heard of it. He did some research and ultimately fixed it for free.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Tcases are tough. $500 will probably get you a good one.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Follow my links and you are only out $175 plus your time which with the right tools is about 3 hours.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

One would think that this type of issue would be covered under some type of extended warranty. My dash went out in my 04 2500 and they replaced it at 62,000 miles. The mileage limit for the free replacement though was 75,000 miles. KRT turned me on to that program.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

KRT dont know schitt

I have never heard of that chuck, what's the best way to see if in fact there is a hole in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    I have never heard of that chuck, what's the best way to see if in fact there is a hole in the case?

Other than splitting it open??? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmcNkgKuMY[/ame]

Count 5 case bolts along the bottom from the drain plug to the right of the vehicle, and look in between the webbing, you will have to clean the area real good, and look real hard, it is SMALL.

Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-10-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Tcases are tough. $500 will probably get you a good one.
    agreed.
    wouldn't be scared of a used one. pretty tough units as long as you keep them full of fluid.
    He would have been nice next year.

Quote Originally Posted by choco-lab View Post
    agreed.
    wouldn't be scared of a used one. pretty tough units as long as you keep them full of fluid.

Kinda hard to keep em full of fluid if there is a pinhole in them and the fluid is leaking out.

Tough as nails.

Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-10-2010 at 03:43 PM.

chuck is probably right
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    chuck is right
    Fixed it for ya

appreciate all the help Chuck!!

Make sure you use the right fluid!!!!!!!! It is only available at the dealer. It takes 2.5 quarts. I just replaced the TC on my 03 1500 with a used one. Mine ran dry. No signs of a leak, so it had to be a slow process. It sounded like a logging chain in a metal drum when it went out. The mechanic split the case and of course all kind of metal was chewed up but it had less than a teaspoon of fluid in it. Make sure you get the attachment for the fluid bottles from the dealer too. You can't get the fluid in the top fill hole without it.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

all it should take is atf, dextron III, etc, didnt know there was a special fluid only at the dealer?!

Anyone know what year models are involved?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

GM transfer case(model 136, 146, 246, 261, 261HD, 263HD, 263XHD, 261XHD)