Thread: Michigan ducks

Default Michigan ducks

Anyone ever duck hunted michigan? When should I go?

when duck season is in and when there's ducks would be my guess.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Go across from Detroit to Walpole Island, Canada and hunt the Indian Reservation. Canvasbacks.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I'd have to say anywhere that far north would be much better the EARLIER you go. Seeing as they all start up that way and work there way down this way.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    I'd have to say anywhere that far north would be much better the EARLIER you go. Seeing as they all start up that way and work there way down this way.
    you'd be wrong. michigan is way too diverse to time anything duck wise. It is one of those states that is 100% mother nature dependant..i.e. you see a big cold front with heavy NW winds due to arrive monday, you show up sunday and hunt thru wednesday. Without a front, it gets tough quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Thanks fellas. I'm going sometime middle to end of this month and then again in november I believe. I want me a can!

What part of michigan? My brother opened season yesterday and shot a limit, solo, on public water.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Go across from Detroit to Walpole Island, Canada and hunt the Indian Reservation. Canvasbacks.
    Them boys can party too...
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

What part? I lived and hunted up there for a few seasons hunted ALL over the state it can be awesome at times. Are you going for divers or puddlers? They have black ducks bought like we have woodys in certain parts!!!! Let me know some more details area, what your looking for, how big of a boat you will have,etc etc etc. I promise those big bodies of water up there will kill yo ass dead and premission can be a pain in the arse to get(to many Ohio folks migrated north)on private lands, but they have tons of public lands. Halloween and a front always was good to me on the Northern Lower Pennisula and Thanksgiving can be insane if it's not locked up. They also have some sweet Bingo Blinds if you get pick early but you better have a back-up plan though. Feild hunting can be good also and they have the some of the best honker hunting this side the Miss.Good luck can't wait to go back myself!!!!!

P.S.----The weeemens love them some Southern men too!!!!
    My thoughts exactly JAB. I figure, i'll never retire, always work doing something. Rather have boats, guns now and be able to use em than to save and save and then be too out of health to enjoy it.

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN--thank you-Phoneman

Here you go 3C.

Enjoy your trip.

http://www.oaksinnhotel.com/guides.htm
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Yes sir, headed up north myself sometime first of november, going to saginaw Hunt the bay and fish point. there is some good hunting in the bay you just have to put some time in scouting and wait on that north wind to bring in the water. Good luck on your trip. YOU will love it up there.
    HRCH BLUESKY'S RIPPIN RUSTY

Quote Originally Posted by puddlepounder View Post
    Yes sir, headed up north myself sometime first of november, going to saginaw Hunt the bay and fish point. there is some good hunting in the bay you just have to put some time in scouting and wait on that north wind to bring in the water. Good luck on your trip. YOU will love it up there.
    Gotta love being 5 miles from the nearest land, barely seeing the shoreline and jumping out the boat to set decoys, or hunting a flooded corn/milo WMA everyday of the season, and it only costs $3. Hunted Sag Bay and Fish Point quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

it is on my short list...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Headed that way Nov. 1st. This will be my first trip but the guide we are going with says they are loaded right now with redheads. Can't wait!

I was born and raised in mid Michigan. You will have a grand time up there hunting. I have hunted, fished there for the past 30 years. Usually the openers are the best hunting and then things get slow until new birds arrive. This is so dependent on the weather. In 2003 we had 3 inches of snow on the ground Oct 1st and the divers were there in full force, temps were in the 20's in the morning and highs in the 40's during the day. I went back The first week in November and we duck hunted in shorts under our waders. It was 80 degrees. As a rule though the 1st week of Nov is when new birds start showing up, and the locals get a bit tired of chasing ducks and give you more hunting spots. Like someone stated earlier there are some good draw hunts to be had. You have to have a plan, or be prepared to miss a hunt if you don't get the blind you want. The draw hunts can be easy, or they can be a bitch depending on what blind you choose. Go a day early and talk to the dnr biologist that are running the hunts and they will give you the low down. Some blinds you will have a 2 mile boat ride to, some will force you to pull dikes. If you haven't pulled a dike before it can be a bitch if your not prepared for it. You will see specially designed boats up there with chainsaw wenches on the front of the boat and ski's on the boat. The bay is by far the most fun to hunt...but you need to know what you are doing!!! You can have the water blow out on you and your fucked. If you hunt the bay be prepared to spend some time out there if needed. If you see the water blowing out, and the ducks are flying all over and you hate to leave. Remember when the ducks quit flying you ain't going no where, you will be stuck out there waiting for the water to blow back in. I have left my boat unattended on the bay over night more than once. Just drop anchor and walk in, come back and get it when the water comes in. The bay has plenty of layout hunting ops, and good teal, goose, and mallard hunting as well. Obtaining permission to hunt is next to impossible. Remember this rule, here today gone tomorrow. The birds up there will literally follow the combines from one field to another. I can't tell you how often I see the birds literally landing 2 minutes after a new section of field has been plowed. The goose hunting is good, especially if you scout and get permission to hunt freshly plowed fields, over water can be tough. I could overload you with hunting info for that state. One thing you might want to try while up there is the Salmon and Steelhead fishing. It took me a few days to find the salmon in fishable #'s but ended up with over 15 landed one day. The first 4 rivers I tried were slow. To really help you out we need to know what area you are planning on hunting while there.

Well I'm headed to missouri to deer hunt from nov 5-14. I am going to michigan sometime in november. Probably going to be a quick decision based on the weather. My duck huntin buddy has some friends that go out their every year and hunt on a few of the lakes up there. We gonna give it a try. Never been on a guided hunt of any kind. We have always just winged it on our duck trips and have never been disappointed. I guess we'll be up there sometime the last 2 weeks of november. If I go and kill one can ....I will be happy.