Bible Study Verse:

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. (NIV)

Romans 8:31

What then shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? (NIV)

Thoughts:

In the aftermath of the recent terrible evil at Virginia Tech, I am not yet able to stay focused on our outdoor theme. What do we say in response to something this awful? How do you comfort a mother or father who has lost a priceless gift? If you have seen media reports, chat rooms or blogs, you've seen that we are saying many things; as a nation, we run the gamut of reactions, from blaming the "tool" to blaming those who weren't involved--seeking to ease the hurt by accusation. In contrast, many outpourings of love and concern are offered.The only way I can move ahead is to focus on God's incredibly amazing grace. The words that the apostle Paul spoke to the believers in Rome can help us find peace and guidance again: "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: 'For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered'. No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39 (NIV) (BB)

Action Point:

If you are already a believer in Christ, please be looking for ways to reinforce His grace and love to anyone around you who may be hurting due to this wrenching tragedy. If you are not a believer, please consider looking closer at having a relationship with God through faith in Christ. As for me, I wasn't born into faith. I was born a sinner and tried almost everything else before I found Christ. God's grace has changed me and is the only sure way I will move past this event intact to look again for the Good News, the Gospel of Jesus. Through faith in Him, we can all be more than conquerors over the kind of evil that lies behind such unimaginable horror.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

In the context of today's message, the only appropriate tip is to suggest you pray for someone; anyone you feel might need it. Ask for God's mercy and guidance.

Recognizing the two week anniversary of the shootings at Blacksburg, Virginia. Remember to pray for the families, loved ones and Virginia Tech faculty and students who were affected by this tragedy.