Thread: Teaching directions

Default Teaching directions

How do you fellas go about teaching your gun dog directions? I've got my 8 month old pretty obedient (he's still an excited pup though) but i think its time I start stepping up the training. He responds to my whistle on sit and here commands but I can't decide how to go about teaching him left right and back directions. any advise?

Are you following any type of DVD programs or have you read any books on retreiver training ? Shoot me a pm with your contact information and I will try to help you out. I am located in Easley

I used a long straight hallway and shut all the doors except 2 directly across from one another. Place a bumper inside the door and send the dog down the hall. Whistle sit at the end of the hall then try to cast. get really excited about the direction you are pointing. The dog look over and see the bumper. As the pup gets more and more used to trusting you slowly move it outside and extend the cast distances. Im sure some of the pros can give you a better way to do it but this worked great for my pup. Especially in teaching the basics of casting and getting my pup to trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Step 1: You & dog ----------------->pile of bumpers clearly visible about 10 yds away...."FETCH"!!

Step 2: After dog starts to get the right idea about going to pile with "fetch", transition to the word "BACK".

Step 3: Gradually increase the distance to the pile until dog can confidently accomplish task at 100 yds.

This will keep you busy for about a week or so, depending on the dog. Get this down first.

Next Steps:
    - Left and right "backs" from remote sit in front of you.
    - Sit on whistle
    - Left and right "overs".
    - Single "T" drill

Once you do all of this on land....... do it again on water.