Thread: Transitioning From Ducks to Geese

Default Transitioning From Ducks to Geese

Is there a correct way of introducing a pup to geese and teaching them how to pick geese up? My pup has no problem with ducks but physically cannot pickup a goose. We have worked both in the field and in the backyard on it but she still cannot figure out how to pick it up. Is there a good way of teaching the dog where to grab the bird? I don't care if its by the neck or under the wing as long as the dog can pick up the bird and bring it back. I'm at the point where she is getting discouraged at attempting to pick it up because she can't figure out how to do it. Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

You could try one of the larger dokken geese.

Sensitive question, but has the dog been force fetched?
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    You could try one of the larger dokken geese.

Sensitive question, but has the dog been force fetched?
    No it has not been force fetched. I haven't needed to FF so far but would consider it if there is no other way to fix this issue.
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

It would be a good place to start. What size dog are we talking about.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

hell just get down on all fours and show her how to do it... she sees you manage she will pick it up quick.... i will garantee it
    Bone....

What Costa says...force fetch. Gumbo, at 42 pounds has no problem picking up a "golf course" Canada Goose.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Thirty six pound Gurley (RIP) was able to retrieve Canada Geese from land and water.
    Professor
    Attached Images Attached Images

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)

She is a 50lb small frame lab. Thing more along the lines of a big boykin rather than a normal lab. I have seen small frame dogs, like boykins as professor has shown, that can pick up geese without any problem. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to teach it with out diminishing drive or confidence. Is there any other way to teach it other than force fetching?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Force Fetch is one step along the way of a more complete training program to eventually end up with the versatile retriever that you really want to have. By skipping over the step only delays showing a hole in the dogs true capability until you need her to perform a task like this and she ends up being as frustrated as you are. Is there some reason for your reluctance to teach force fetch? It is a different experience for every dog, and needs to be a balance between teaching the concepts involved while still maintaining the desire to retrieve along the way. I mean who wants a dog that was at one time happy to retrieve just about anything you shoot or throw for it, to go to a dog that has its tail tucked between their legs and looks like it would rather have her ass beat then do what used to bring such joy. Friends of mine who train a bunch of dogs tell me that the secret is balancing between teaching the FF concepts one step at a time and throwing marks with birds along the way is how they keep a dogs attitude up along the way. Good luck, it sounds like you have a nice dog and this is just a hole in the training program.

2 ways: They have to "want" to do it, or you have to "make" them do it (hence the vehicle of FF).

They ain't such a thang as too small........

I have heard of people teaching them to hold the goose where the wing comes out of body.

I had the same issue with my pup when she was about 4-6 months old. Would fetch a dove and a duck but a goose, well that was a different story. To her it was so big!
    Once she figured out she could grasp the thing by the neck or a wing she was good to go. Btw, she was a small female as well at the time. After a few practice runs and having a real goose piss her off, she got it down pat and would give em hell. She was never force fetched either, just had to figure out how to handle that monster animal. LOL!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

FF.

If they've got the desire and drive, they'll figure out how to get it back to you.
    Professor

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    If they've got the desire and drive, they'll figure out how to get it back to you.
    Professor
    Oh she got them back to the shore and will eventually get it back in the yard. However, by the time she does get it back, its been 10 minutes and she's exhausted. After getting her a little more socialized with geese this week, I am going to take her in the am and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I will throw a bumper for her and pick up any geese we shoot myself. I would like to not FF if possible but at this point, it's looking like I may not have a choice.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Why do you not want to FF her?
    Professor