Thread: SC State workers can get weight lose surgery??

Default SC State workers can get weight lose surgery??

Just heard it on the news. Over weight State workers can get gastrobypass or lapband surgery paid for. I think they said it was going to cost us tax payers over 2 million dollars!
    Phillipians 4:13

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

And to think Sanford wanted to reduce the state's budget instead of increasing taxes on those stupid rich stingy people that spend their days toiling at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

This is patently absurd. They should just eliminate the friggin' lunch hour and put a cork in their mouths for 60 days.

Lap-bands and such are expensive excuses for people who don't have the fortitude and control to cut their donuts in half. What a waste of tax dollars.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I heard they said it will only be for 100 people. Radio also.

Corks won't work, most of the state employee's just need to get off of their ass and do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

They are trying to say it will help save money because of other medical problems that come along with obesity. What a bunch of crap! If our gov't would sit back and look at the stuff they waste time and money on, maybe they do something positive.
    Duck hunters are fools, all of us. -Mergie Master

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Listen, I agree with most of you about a little self discipline, exercise, etc, but some people are made differently. Have different metabolisms, etc. Its hard for me to throw stones because I don't currently have the motivation to quit dipping. Not to mention, I know that when I do I will put on some serious poundage.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    Listen, I agree with most of you about a little self discipline, exercise, etc, but some people are made differently. Have different metabolisms, etc. Its hard for me to throw stones because I don't currently have the motivation to quit dipping. Not to mention, I know that when I do I will put on some serious poundage.
    Just like matter cannot be created nor destroyed.... If you don't put it in your mouth, you don't gain weight.

There is no such thing as osmosis of fat ass....

My gut came from Coors Light. I know that. If I a)quit drinkin' so much beer or b)went to the gym every now and again, I wouldn't have this little beer gut.

You cannot, biologically, explain a morbidly obese person's weight gain without including over-eating, laziness, or the combination of the two.

"And that's all I got to say about that"....
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I wonder how many gym memberships that 2 million would buy for the same workers instead. Nevermind the dumbasses taking advantage of that surgery wouldn't go anyway.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I work for a municipality and that is what they did. If you go to the gym and pass a wellness exam, they pay for the gym membership. I go on my lunch hour and I am in much better shape b/c of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmetz View Post
    I work for a municipality and that is what they did. If you go to the gym and pass a wellness exam, they pay for the gym membership. I go on my lunch hour and I am in much better shape b/c of it.

Good on you for that and the municipality that provided that service. How many of the people that are as wide as they are tall would do that though?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Speaking as someone who has had Gastric Bypass, I thank God that I was afforded the opportunity for my insurance to cover it..

Everything was stacked against me having it.. 1) Medical Clearances, 2) Scheduling, etc. But when I went in for all of the testing required by my insurance company... I passed all with flying colors 1) being borderline diabetic, 2) borderline heart problems, hernias, bad knees..

Which BTW for those idiots who don't know this... When I was in high school I weighed 157 lbs. soaking wet.. I played some ball when I was out of school and damaged a knee and was unable to ride a bike or jog.. Thus, came some of my weight problem, how much I don't know but it contributed.. Then there are those that were born with heart problems who couldn't do the same... It was genetic...

Their only choice at a better life and any hope of losing weight was a gastric bypass.. but as with anything else it is risky...

There are 10's of thousands of people who have risked their lives having this surgery.. because there could be complications that could cause death...

I took that chance.. Because I wasn't happy with the way I felt, they way I performed at work and the fact that I had a small child that I couldn't play ball with, run with or swim with because I was so overweight... Which BTW some people don't realize they are overweight until it is too late..

The fad diets are a joke and all they do is take your money.. So what was the solution.. Gastric Bypass...

I personally know about 2 dozen people who are alive today because of this surgery and I love and respect everyone of them. Each one of them had reasons for having this surgery, some medical and some mental.. But the main thing that they all had in common was they wanted to live..

I was 415 lbs.. 6 yrs ago... I now weigh 225 and have been at that weight for 4 1/2 yrs.. I am alive by the grace of God not from pulling away from the table..

I also Thank God for changing the hearts of people in the insurance business for getting the change made.. Many will live because of it.

As for all of you opinionated, skinny, judgmental dickheads maybe they will pass a law to get you the help you need... A Heart Transplant... cause evidently you don't have one.. and two.. maybe they can remove that Pecker from on top of your shoulders !

If I left something out... it is because I am ADD also... so bitch about that !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    UH HRCH Somerset Points Golden Bear
    HR Somerset Points Cindy Lou Who
    SH Somerset Points One Rough Chic (Madea)

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You cannot, biologically, explain a morbidly obese person's weight gain without including over-eating, laziness, or the combination of the two.

"And that's all I got to say about that"....
    Oh.. and let me say something to this... Some people can sit and eat a 64 oz. Steak and not gain an ounce.. some gain 20 lbs... and they don't exercise....Explain that Dr. ODD ? Laziness... If you can't exercise because of bad knees, etc.. how do you do it .. Explain this one too..

The day I got out of the hospital from having my surgery.. I started walking.. and I walked a little further each and everyday... until I reached the point that I was walking 10 miles... I also walked the Ravenel Bridge and back... Only After.. Only After I had to have a knee replacement because of an injury that got worse because I couldn't excercise..

Oh.. I forgot to mention depression.. some people cope with this by eating.. So there goes the theory of getting your opinon on this, because evidently you can't explain that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    UH HRCH Somerset Points Golden Bear
    HR Somerset Points Cindy Lou Who
    SH Somerset Points One Rough Chic (Madea)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Bear View Post
    If you can't exercise because of bad knees, etc.. how do you do it .. Explain this one too..
    Swimming?
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Poppa Bear,

I'm glad the bypass surgery worked out for you and helped you get your life on track. However, nothing you've said, including depression, bad knees, etc, changes the fact that the bypass surgery was an "easier" method to achieve the same results that you have today. You could have had knee surgery long before this, and could have taught yourself how to eat in a nutritious manner, et al. You were "borderline diabetic because of the weight, not vice versa, etc.

If you can't exercise because of bad knees, etc.. how do you do it .. Explain this one too..

The day I got out of the hospital from having my surgery.. I started walking.. and I walked a little further each and everyday... until I reached the point that I was walking 10 miles...
    You could walk after the surgery for exercise, but not before? Sumthin' don't add up there...

I'm not knocking you or your efforts. It's just that there are also long term negative implications of stomach bypass surgery that aren't being talked about much... such as reduced nutritional intake resulting in malnutrition... once the target weight is achieved... if their eating style doesn't change for the better.

Like I said, I'm glad it worked for you. But the fact is that the stomach will shrink on it's own, and, thus, you feel full faster on smaller meals if you cut the intake to allow the stomach to shrink. In other words, if people don't stuff their faces and eat shitty foods, they tend to not gain a lot of weight unless there is a specific medical issue such as a thyroid problem... which can normally be controlled or resolved.

I do realize it's easier said than done.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-14-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Woodie's post sums up my thoughts too.