Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 1700 feet per sec.

Yes they do look like Dale Jarrett a little now that you mention it.

This thread is LOL but much fun

See, I thought I had the perfect analogy working here, but my own teammate had to throw a wrench in it by talking Corvettes and brown trucks. He'll do that to ya.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Let's put it this way. You don't want me shooting at you.

I like to argue for fun too, so here we go...

This is a distance/time equation for determining final velocity at a given instance. I will admit up front I don't know exactly how far or how long a shot will go at 1400 or 1200 fps, so the time here is a constant 6 for both equations. That takes any question out.

vi = vf + a *Δt

Final Velocity-vf
    Initial Veleocty-vi
    Acceleration-a
    Δt-time to shoot, go x distance

vf=1400/(32.2ft/s^2 * 6)= 7.2ft/s

vf=1200/(32.2*6)= 6.2 ft/s

So basically after 6 seconds the pellets are moving at near 0fps. However 1400 is still moving faster, and has for the last 6 total seconds. Turbulence will not overcome the initial 200fps, but will decrease the margin some. Now that we have speed you could determine distance they have traveled, but I don't want to.
    Again...that's physics 101 theoretical BS which discounts all drag since beginning physics students can't handle it. All that shit works great in a vacuum, but we aren't shooting doves in a vacuum...

Try this one on for size....

Force due to drag is equal to 1/2 the density of the fluid (remember now, air IS a fluid since it flows and takes the shape of it's container...) times the velocity of the object in relation to the fluid squared times the drag coefficient times the cross sectional area of the object....

Simple unit analysis shows that as the area increases, the drag will also increase and the same is true for EVERY component of this equation.

More deformation, more cross sectional area, higher drag coefficient...

Think of the javelin...get a decathlete to heave one then hand him a steel ball of the same mass...javelin goes further...every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Analysis of Simple's unit shows that as the area increases, the drag will also increase and the same is true for EVERY component of this equation.

Wait a damn minute!! I might be tappin out on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bwagz26 View Post
    You do not get it....not even Tater's analogy... 1oz or 1 1/4oz makes no difference. It is the size of each individual pellet. The turbulance created by air going over more pellets in the larger load could play a role, but as I mentioned earlier, I expect this to be minimal

Tater is saying the difference in expansion/distorion (of each pellet) will play a significant role. I'll admit, not sure how much of an impact the difference in shot expanison will have. I could figure it out with some research, but I'm losing interest.
    There's no need to for it has already been done.

yea, the distance time equation does not consider the potential significant increase in drag due to the difference in expansion. I may work that out this weekend if I get too bored

You notice how Fish just pulled the line to the lawn mower on this deal and quietly walked away?

P.S. I survey because it's fun and relaxing. I burned out on nuclear engineering prior to finding out how much fun walking around chopping down pines and sweetgums was...not to mention all the free deer stands

Again...that's physics 101 theoretical BS which discounts all drag since beginning physics students can't handle it. All that shit works great in a vacuum, but we aren't shooting doves in a vacuum...

Try this one on for size....

Force due to drag is equal to 1/2 the density of the fluid (remember now, air IS a fluid since it flows and takes the shape of it's container...) times the velocity of the object in relation to the fluid squared times the drag coefficient times the cross sectional area of the object....

Simple unit analysis shows that as the area increases, the drag will also increase and the same is true for EVERY component of this equation.

I'm not disputing that drag exists. I telling you that the drag will not increase to a point as to balance out the initial 200fps. 25fps maybe, not 200.

again...

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    yall are all a bunch of damn overthinkin, over educated, underpaid homos.....

nary damn one of you is gonna win this arguement, or have the capabilities to prove you are right.....

yall are all struggling to remember what you learned in college, but havent used since...

now quit googlin physics shit and do something productive, like starting another babe bracket!

most importantly

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    now quit googlin physics shit and do something productive, like starting another babe bracket!

What we haven't even touched on is the fact that the barrel is choked, which leads to further shot deformation - and the 'stringing' effect.

SCOREBOARD!
    Last edited by Simple Man; 07-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    I'm not disputing that drag exists. I telling you that the drag will not increase to a point as to balance out the initial 200fps. 25fps maybe, not 200.
    That's fine, believe what you will, but when you lay your head down tonight do so with the knowledge that you are incorrect.

...not to mention all the free deer stands
    DAMN! Give me back my damn stands, will ya
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Now that you mention it...is that tower stand I can see from Garrison rd worthy of my taking?

Sorry Jr. I don't believe the math will support it.

At initial cast off the Fd is 30% greater for the 1400 if you generously use a 5% larger area and a coefficient that is 5% less. Coefficient for a sphere is .47 and a half sphere is .42. That still want close the gap enough.

As time passes the gap will close until they are going the same speed, then the only variable is your coefficient and area, and that difference will only be 6% or so. That is not enough to over take the initial lead over such a short time span.

You seriously are only talking a little over 1/2 a second if you shoot at a 90 degree angle and from 5 ft off the ground. Angles give you a better chance, but not enough.

At .55 seconds maximum distance from a 1400 fps shell would be 770ft. at 1200 it would be 660. That is an awful lot to make up in such a short time. That is over 36 yds in half a second.
    Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 07-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.

It has been fun but I'm out to cut grass. It will get cut better with a 34HP zero turn than the previous 21Hp Craftsman I had before.

what if you were in an airplane and shot both shells straight down.....