Thread: What is this ????

Default What is this ????

I found this fruit growing on a smallish tree near the Catawba river today. Who can identify it for me ??????
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

Osage orange, don't know how it got there though. They're native out west. Was it a small tree?
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 07-25-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Switchback is right, Osage Orange.

The Ndn's out where it grew naturally used the wood exclusively for making bows, it works great. So good that the tribes from that area traded the wood to other tribes. People still make bows from the Osage wood. Here's a site on making Osage Bows.

Building The Osage Bow

The reason you found it there is because people have transplanted them as ornamental trees in their yards. They were pretty popular at one time around here.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I got an Eddie Cribb duck call made out of Osage Orange. sounds good!

Yep Osage Orange........it makes a great striker as well......heres one I turned out of it this past week............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Interesting- never seen one before. Edible like other oranges???
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

isn't bois de arc the same thing?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

There are a lot of them in Alabama but I dont think the deer or hogs eat them.

It is the preferred wood for the making of bows.

I cut it in half and the inside resembles a kiwi, but a very sticky juice oozes out, it would make a fine glue. So Im guessing inedible. Thanks to all that responded . I told my son It wouldn't take long to find out if I posted it on here.
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

Don't eat it is poisonous!!!!
    CUSTOM CAMO AND GRAPHIC DIPPING
    WWW.EASTERNHYDROGRAPHICS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTYDUCK View Post
    I cut it in half and the inside resembles a kiwi, but a very sticky juice oozes out, it would make a fine glue. So Im guessing inedible. Thanks to all that responded . I told my son It wouldn't take long to find out if I posted it on here.

Yea, the insides of those things are crazy. Almost like crazy glue latex.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I think midwesterners hunt over them in the late season. they call em hedge apples. deer will eat em when everything else is gone. I think bois d' arc is the same thing.
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    isn't bois de arc the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    I think midwesterners hunt over them in the late season. they call em hedge apples. deer will eat em when everything else is gone. I think bois d' arc is the same thing.
    Yes it is.

If I'm not mistaken, back in the day, people planted these trees close together to act as "fences" to keep cattle in certain areas.

Leroy, that's a beautiful striker you turned out of osage wood. How does it sound? Have you made a slate out of that stuff too?

An older gentleman that lives up the street from me makes bows from osage orange. He has planted several on some of his property, although I am not sure how they are growing. I do know he claims to have found a few growing wild in this area. I wonder if some of the local trees are the product of Indian trading years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Leroy, that's a beautiful striker you turned out of osage wood. How does it sound? Have you made a slate out of that stuff too?

Sounds great so far it's a very versatile wood I've found and matches up well with about all the surfaces I've played it on......I haven't made any pots out of it yet but it's the next wood on my list to get in a board.......

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/