Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to fix hole in fiberglass boat

Default how to fix hole in fiberglass boat

so...i got this boat from this yahoo and paid way too much money for it, only to find out it has a couple of holes in the bottom. I called my cousin, Vinny, and he is going to "take care of the problem for me." I thought he meant the holes in the boat, but i guess not since they are still there.

so...not sure what the hell was screwed into this boat, maybe it was a seat, but anyway it has a thru-and-thru hole that i need to patch up.

what do i use and is there any prep needed on the fiberglass before I use it?

thank ye in advance for all the non smartass replies to this very serious thread.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Duct Tape!

seriously, quick fix hit it with a little 5200, or do it right and breakout your fiberglass skills... Ask Calibouge, hear he had a hole in his Sink Craft....

Marine Tex...

If the fiberglass looks like it has gelcoat in it you'll need to grind it out. Gelcoat has wax in it and that will keep your patch from bonding thoroughly. Then you'll need to decide between polyester and epoxy resins. I like epoxy personally but poly is cheaper and generally more forgiving if your new at this. Use fiberglass matting to make your repair (it will look like chopped glass). Mix your resin and hardener thoroughly and make sure you work it into your mat really well. Get all the air bubbles out of it that you can while it's still wet. Some people like to use a two inch tight weave roller to work the resin into the mat. Feather your edges to reduce the amount of grinding and shaping you'll have to do later. Then after it all dries check the area for any imperfections or irregularities in the surface. Sometimes I'll mix some extra resin and hardener to pour over the area again to smooth it out. I really hate sanding though so anything I can do to cut down on it is worth while in my opinion!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Is it a thru-hull fitting of some kind that penetrated the hull?

If so, plug it with a piece of marine grade wood and do as Ring King suggested above. Go to West Marine at Dutch Square (Delta Sponsor) and they will hook you up.

If it's a screw hole then just use some 5200, also found at West Marine.

Or, you could save yourself some headache and take it to a good glass guy for a couple hundred bucks. At least that way you wont have to worry about your patch sinking the boat one day....aka..peace of mind.

Screw Hole = 5200

Les than $20 and your in bidness
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

use some of that Dental shit you got at the office
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

is this a pond boat?

Does it matter if it is pretty?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    is this a pond boat?

Does it matter if it is pretty?
    I'm guessing this is that little sneak boat he bought

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53999
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

JB Weld or great stuff foam
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

JB Weld or get a stick of two part surf board ding patch epoxy. Depend on how big the hole is and whether it needs structural strength.

2th are you talking about the Geenoe with that big hole in the bottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    "my cousin, Vinny"
    HAHA

esthetics not an issue. structural integrity not that big of a deal. just need screw hole plugged.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

esthetics not an issue. structural integrity not that big of a deal. just need screw hole plugged.
    5200 and be done with it.

I'm a self proclaimed fiberglassin' mofo! With that having been said, I would follow the duckduckdog mans advice and use 5200 and be done with it.

marine tex.

If cost is an issue small hammer and an old golf tee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    JB Weld or get a stick of two part surf board ding patch epoxy. Depend on how big the hole is and whether it needs structural strength.
    x2.

Toof, the surfboard ding repair kit will do just fine for those little holes.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quit farting around with surf board repair kit or 5200. Get a product thats designed for fiberglass and just about everythings else that is below waterline repair.

Here's the link..http://www.marinetex.com/

What I would do drill the hole out 1/4". Make sure there is not any soft wood or wet glass in there. If so let it dry and back fill with Marine Tex, sand it off when dry. DONE..