Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to fix hole in fiberglass boat

5200 is the shit. Just don't get it on you're hand and let it set. If you do, you will look funny pulling teeth with a boat attached to you're hand.
    Would make for some interesting conversations though.....
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

While 5200 is great stuff, Marine Tex is the better product for this repair. It's simple, mix the two, fill in holes, come back the next day and sand down. Done and done....

Seriously tooth, Marine Tex is your fix....

How to repair cracks or gouges in fiberglass:

-Product: Marine-Tex Epoxy Putty 'The Mighty Repair Kit' White

-Materials: Solvent for cleaning (acetone or lacquer thinner work well), 80-100 grit sandpaper, clean mixing board, two mixing sticks and a trowel

-Conditions: Minimum 60˚F temperature, 48 hours to fully cure at 60˚F, 24 hours to fully cure at 70˚F

-Read instructions on product packaging. Prepare surface for bonding by checking fibers of glass for any deterioration. Dig out any weak material until solid fibers are reached. (If dealing with a hair-line crack, use a Drimmel tool to 'V' the crack. This will increase surface contact of the epoxy to the repair, creating a more secure application.) Tape off the areas around the crack or gouge, leaving open a perimeter of at least 1/4" around the entire repair for the epoxy to overlap. Clean the entire area with a wipe of solvent and lightly sand the perimeter area, clean again. Mix Marine-Tex White in the proper proportions (5:1 ratio by volume) and apply to the surface. Be sure to overlap the epoxy on to the perimeter area so that a water tight repair is created. Water or a piece of plastic wrap can be used to smooth the epoxy. This will save time in sanding later. Allow epoxy to fully cure. Remove plastic and/or tape from the surrounding areas. Clean and sand the Marine Tex if applying a coat of paint to the surface. (Marine-Tex does not require a coating for UV or waterproofing capabilities. Any coating would be for cosmetic reasons only.) Follow specific 'gelcoat' directions if applying a polyester gelcoat to the surface of Marine Tex.

Let's see some pictures. I rebuilt a 13.5 Malibu, and holy shit the guy who had it before me was all about drilling holes in his hull. I used Marine grade Bondo from Walmart(basically the same thing as Marine Tex..) and put a layer of glass oer both sides for the big holes, and did Bondo and resin for the rest.

I've beat the hell out of that boat since I did it and they're still holding strong but if you want to drop a lot of money of the "right" stuff, go right ahead, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Somebody told us Wall Street fell but we were so poor we couldn't tell. Cotton was short and the weeds were tall but Mr. Obama gonna save us all