Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone explain the new hog hunting at night rules

Default someone explain the new hog hunting at night rules

please.

what type of weapon and what type of lights can be used. i have heard varying reports. and, NO, i will not read the bill to find out myself...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

68 views and not one worthy response?

someone has to know the RULES?!?!

Flashlight and handguns only. No light attached to the gun.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

No scope. Barrel less than 9 1/2".

According to the new law, hogs may be hunted at night with an artificial light that is carried on the hunter's person, attached to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by the hunter and with a sidearm that has iron sites, and barrel length not exceeding nine inches. The sidearm may not be equipped with a butt-stock, scope, laser site, or light emitting or light enhancing device. However, hogs may not be hunted at night from a vehicle, or with a centerfire rifle or shotgun, unless specifically permitted by the department. Hogs can be hunted at night using dogs as long as the firearms used comply with the restrictions above. There are no weapons restrictions for hunting hogs on private land during the day. SCDNR encourages those who have wild hogs on properties they own or hunt to lethally and legally remove every hog they have the opportunity to remove.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

OK then. As is suspected, this law will not account for many dead hogs.

I bet Duct Tape is still right proud of himself, though, whether its a "good" law or not.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 07-06-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Why didn't they just change it to Knives only after dark.......?

My question is that if this bill was made to help control the hog problem in SC then why was the part that made live transport illegal taken out at the last minute? According to CR the only reason the DNR supported the orginal bill is because of the live transport clause which was taken out of the bill right before it passed.

So, who has the rope and handcuffs? I wanna go catch me some hogs so I can "take them and fatten them up".

You can also use a rimfire .22 or smaller rifle, iron sights, no scope or attached light, etc. I have no ideas why scopes and equipment that aids in shot placement are not legal.

About the only way I can imagine one could successfully and legally use the new laws to their advantage is to sit in a tree over a corn pile with a big pistol and a head mounted light. Wait for the crowd to gather, click on the light and commence double tapping.

My .41mag has an intergral Weaver mount that I could just detatch whatever aid from with no one knowing. Same would go for a pistol with a Picatanny rail right?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

rifles of 22 or less are allowed for coyotes. Not pigs. No rifles for pigs. Someone will be night hunting deer with rifles if that were allowed.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

are bush axes and ninja throwin' stars legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

The bill was made and pushed through by a group of upstate dog hunters. It's nothing more than a special interest bill that makes it legal for them to hunt at night. One of the guys who pushed it runs a dog hunting guide service.

tradorion Coots

and you don't think a smart outlaw will set up a "coyote rig" and spank some deer ass??

LMAO- i would love to see the pool of stakeholders and involved parties that authored this...

And by the way, the 22 I referred to above is RIMFIRE only.

tradorion Coots

And by the way, the 22 I referred to above is RIMFIRE only.

cause we alllllll KNOW a 22LR can't kill a deer and NOBODY would consider a 22MAG venison-worthy either.... ohhhhhh except damned near every good rogue i know.

SERIOUSLY??
    Last edited by tradorion; 07-06-2010 at 08:45 AM.

The proposal started out to let the hog doggers hunt at night. Most just use knives, but some pushed for handguns. The no rifles,scopes,lasers sights,etec was put in prevent longer range shots...........meaning to prevent nighthunting deer.

As already stated, the DNR only backed this bill for the illegal to "transport live hogs" provision, which was stricken out at the last minute to look out for the hog pen owners.

A large trapped/caught live wild boar is worth some money. That's why you see them handcuffed when caught in alot of cases.........and taken home to "fatten him up".

If that portion had passed as originally written, the hog pen owners would have had to raise their own hogs and couldn't depend on buying from the hog doogers and trappers.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-06-2010 at 08:50 AM.

The bill is as worthless as those proverbial tits on the boar...

Hog, fox and coyote pens need to be outlawed. They have accelerated the pig and coyote invasion and given hunters another black eye in the mind of non-hunters and the general public. Any kind of hunting behind game fences is hard to defend.

tradorion Coots

As already stated, the DNR only backed this bill for the illegal to "transport live hogs" provision, which was stricken out at the last minute to look out for the hog pen owners.

So tell me if i am reading this right then- legislators passed a bill for one small special interest group (Hog Doggers) and the one part of it that DNR was in favor of was stricken from the bill to watch out for another small special interest group (Hog Penners)...

Do you think that anybody could have said "Fuck You- your opinions don't matter" any more clearly to the group that is allegedely charged with watching out for the natural resources of the state of SC?
    Last edited by tradorion; 07-06-2010 at 09:17 AM.

tradorion Coots

JAB- teats on a boar hog are more useful than this bill- they matter for hog farming where genetically sows and boars with a higher number of teats can be bred to (hopefully) consistently get sows with more teats thus able to fed more young piglets....
    Last edited by tradorion; 07-06-2010 at 09:18 AM.