Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: petrovic sunflowers

Default petrovic sunflowers

someone posted the name of a chemical that could be sprayed over these sf when they had 4 or more leaves, can you repost or pm the name? tks, bd

Peredovic sunflowers, and you cant spray them with anything without killing them. Clearfields can be spayed with cadre.

Default Herbicide

I would like to know too if there is anything. I think there are more weeds in my sunflower than there are sunflowers. I was told that there is nothing that can be done with the weeds at this point of the game....

plow them. but if they are not "clearfiled" you cant spray with anything
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

Dang fellas, one day ya'll listen to me about Spartan/Spartan Charge as a PRE, sprayed behind the planter. Run you around $25/Ac. There isn't really to spray over them except Lightning/Cadre. That will cost you $18/Ac.

Can't put a price on pleasure....
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

OK. I think there is some confusion here. Certainly, a fair amount in my own head right now, so let me recap and see if it makes sense.

"Clearfield" sunflowers are akin to round up ready seeds, although the herbicide is called Cadre, not round up.

Peredovik sunflowers have ZERO herbicide protection and will die if sprayed. SaltMuck is talking about spraying Spartan as the seed is drilled in to kill the already emerged weeds (or does spartan work on grasses in the soil?).

so, once you have planted sunflowers that are not resistant to herbicides, you have no recourse other than to wait until the sunflowers have headed out and are ready and just spray the whole field. the sunflower has done its thing and lost its leaves and you will start to get a lot of light to the soil again and weeds will start growing. at this point, the entire field can be sprayed with roundup to kill the new weeds and any others that have grown in your sunflowers over time. that is how we handle pigweed in the peredoviks...

make sense?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I talked to a BASF sales rep last week, and he point blank told me that peredovic sunflowers could be sprayed with Poast to kill grasses. It will not harm the sunflower because it's engineered only to kill grasses....not broadleaf. I have a shit pod of johnson grass in my two fields and that's what I planned on spraying over my sunflowers

Are y'all saying that this information is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    I talked to a BASF sales rep last week, and he point blank told me that peredovic sunflowers could be sprayed with Poast to kill grasses. It will not harm the sunflower because it's engineered only to kill grasses....not broadleaf. I have a shit pod of johnson grass in my two fields and that's what I planned on spraying over my sunflowers

Are y'all saying that this information is wrong?

He is right. Poast will kill certain grasses in Peredovic sunflowers, postemerge. Good kills depend on weed height and type. Use crop oil.

My notes on johnson grass have me spraying 1.5pts/ac twice a season to get it.

Edit: Whatever Poast I have left over, I use on Chufa for grass control.
    Last edited by Blakeley; 06-02-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: extra poast

you are right. you can kill grasses in broadleafs with poast....or you could wait and spray the whole shooting match after its matured.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

thanks for info doc,i think i will cultavate them and spray at the end of growing season and remember this for next year.thanks to everyone's input and for excusing my (sp). bd

Select Max or Intensity one are better grass herbicides for non clearfield hybrids than poast imo. Intensity one is a generic Select (Clethodim) and the max rate is 16 oz. per acre. Both of these are a little better than poast on hard to kill grasses like bermuda and johnson grass.

Nothing is resistant to steel! If you have a cultivator it is a good choice for non clearfield hybrids.

Beyond is the actual material labeled for use in clearfield sunflowers. Cadre and Lightening both work but are not labeled for sunflowers.

clr knows his stuff.

Poast will kill them. Wait until they head and roundup the whole deal.

Poast will not kill sunflowers. I repeat, not kill sunflowers. Neither will Select, Dual, or Select. They all can be sprayed over-the-top sunflowers.

Spartan is to be sprayed behind the planter/drill for broadleafs and nutsedge. See above for grass options.

Remember that a mature, chest high pigweed can produce 2 million seed. Why let them into your seedbank?

Cadre and Lightning are the SAME chemical, as is Beyond (which is actually the herbicide labeled for clearfield sunflowers). Lightning is supposed to be used on corn, Cadre on peanuts. They are all the same.

School is out.
    Go Tigers!

Ok, I am not trying to make a sale on scducks, I am trying to give information on the question asked so PLEASE dont go spray your peredovic sunflowers with poast or dual, it will kill them. You will be wasting your money buying an expensive chemical, and wasting you time spraying it.

So...what are your thoughts on spraying clearfield sunflowers with poast/dual?
    Go Tigers!

BTW Not sure where you read that I had anything for sale....
    Go Tigers!

First off you keep bringing up Southern States, your place of business, and a farm supply center that sells chemicals, seed, fertilizer, ect. I have 4 acres of clearfields behind the house and 10 rows next to the house that we just put cadre over last week and are clean as a whistle and 2 feet tall. What would be the purpose of spraying them with dual?

Dual is a "grass only" herbicide. I never said Cadre wasn't a good herbicide, just giving other options. Not cyber-selling a damn thing. I carry and sell chemicals, just laying out some options.
    Go Tigers!

just sprayed a mixture of cadre and select 2 weeks ago and we are still having to cultivate. select did a good job on the grasses. cadre did not do a good job on the pigweed. it did do a good job on the coffeeweed and the morning glories.