Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afica...

Default Africa...

(copied from another forum)

Jorge and Moe just got back from Zim. They had a great time, although Jorge got chewed on a bit by a leopard. He tried for a heart shot, got one or both shoulders (I'm not sure - I just had one conversation with him,) and then they had to track him in the failing light. Jorge saw a large clot of blood and then saw a blur coming at him from about 20 feet away. The PH got one round into it before it hit Jorge. Moe was holding the lights. The cat grabbed Jorge by the leg and started chewing and trying to get higher...Jorge got it off his leg so the PH could shoot again, but got his arm bit and scratched up doing so. From what Moe said, Jorge shouted, "That was f.....g great!" And then fell over. Not a faint, as he was still conscious - just the effect of the adrenaline running out.

They cleaned him up the best they could on the spot, loaded up the cat and went back to camp where they worked on his wounds some more with antiseptic/antibiotic cream after he washed them out with soap and water. Jorge also had some oral antibiotics and he took several of those. The next day, they drove a half day to the nearest clinic, where chickens were running around inside and there was an open bag of feed. They has no electricity, so they used their spotlights. The doctor took a tongue depressor, wrapped a bunch of gauze around it, dipped it in a bottle of iodine and proceed to scrape and scrub the crap out of each wound, and some were pretty deep. Jorge tells me he would rather face another leopard than that doctor.

He also got two huge shots of penicillin, one in each cheek. Moe said Jorge looked someone had worked him over when he came out of the clinic. Not physically marked, just totally drained and pale.

Jorge was back hunting in 2 days and took a hippo, an elephant with 50 lb tusks as well as a nice Cape buffalo bull.

Last edited by Tater; 06-04-2010 at 10:03 PM.

i hate all damn cats
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

A leopard may be the most beautiful animal on the planet. I'd love to hunt them some day.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I wonder how they taste?

taste like beef from a chinese restaurant.

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

Chasing an animal over open/scattered brush terrain in a truck with high powered rifles and a spotlight is a real challenge.

I can't imagine how tough it must be to shoot an elephant.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 05-31-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Yeah, Bog. Because there's NOTHING in Africa that had just as soon eat the hunter.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I had no idea that africa had animals capable of eating humans.

must be crazy over there.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Chasing an animal over open/scattered brush terrain in a truck with high powered rifles and a spotlight is a real challenge.
    I have enough challenges being a white, employed, taxpaying, conservative, male..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Someone needs a serious education on hunting the Big 5... Can you pay someone to take you out to shoot big game as Bog described? Certainly. Just as you can buy a limit of retriever forum ducks to shoot here...

Trust me, this cat was not shot out of the back of a truck with a spotlight and a high powered rifle....

"retriever forum ducks"

Jorge is one badass old bastard.

RANK!

2x about the retriever forum ducks!!!
    Last edited by walt4dun; 05-31-2010 at 07:49 PM.

That man needs a beer.

Cape and Kudu are both in my bucket list.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    That man needs a beer.

Cape and Kudu are both in my bucket list.
    Yours and mine both.

Cape, kudu, leopard, and a bunch of plains game.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I wonder how many people would be hunting deer over here if they knew a bad shot could get them killed.

M2Field wouldn't if turkeys were deadly, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Someone needs a serious education on hunting the Big 5... Can you pay someone to take you out to shoot big game as Bog described? Certainly. Just as you can buy a limit of retriever forum ducks to shoot here...
    My thoughts exactly. Hunting any animal that can run you over and eat your ass is a challenge. Most of em' over there that are of any size like a buffalo or elephant aren't scared of putting a dent in the Toyota pickup that you are riding around in with your high powered rifle.

Bog if you want to read a good story. I'll try to find you the one of David Morris's (Bucks of Tecomate) first African safari. Anything by Capstick, Corbett, and Hemingway on hunting in Africa is good also.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLAND&TIMBER View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Hunting any animal that can run you over and eat your ass is a challenge. Most of em' over there that are of any size like a buffalo or elephant aren't scared of putting a dent in the Toyota pickup that you are riding around in with your high powered rifle.
    surely tuning down the governor on hunting vehicles isn't common practice in Zimbabwe.
    Most toyota trucks are capable of out running a cape buffalo.

I must admit to turning up my nose.

I have never been to Africa and my big game experiences are limited to 500 lb hogs on the Florida prairie.
    Its no elephant, but it still felt cheap to be shooting them from atop our swamp buggies.
    For me, seeing a man leaning against a hippo or elephant with a 300 mag and a huge smile is all too disgusting.
    For what? wheres the challenge? Shooting an animal the size of special ed school bus either from atop a land rover, or a tree blind, I simply cannot find sport in.
    I feel the same way about shooting big cats.
    Do what you like, just don't try to tell me how sporty it was. In my eyes it will always be cheap.
    I am entitled to my opinion and in regards to african safari, I doubt it will change.

I can't quite pinpoint it, but I get the same feeling about african safari as I do when I see those saturday morning hunting shows and some guy is shooting a 16pt buck under feeder from inside a treehouse looking box blind down in texas.

From every safari hunting show that I have seen and every book that I have read, I've never seen an animal killed from a vehicle. Does it happen? Probably so, but I don't have much respect for that kind of hunting. I have never been but it is a dream to hunt in Africa one day. I believe we have one member here on SCDUCKS that has been, maybe he will share his story again.

I couldn't find a copy of the story by David Morris but it went down like this.

David, PH, black guy or two were hunting cape buffalo in the brush on foot. David set up for a shot, took the shot, animal charged him. David stood his ground, took careful aim, and fired again. The buff dropped 6 feet from him. He turned around and the PH, everyone else had ran off. Imagine something that weighs close to a ton trying to run your ass over in the middle of a patch of brush and you are only armed with a rifle. To me that would be an adrenaline rush like no other.