Thread: .22 Handgun vs Assault Weapon

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default .22 Handgun vs Assault Weapon

It's all about making the shots count. ~ Mergie

A terrifying reality: Father featured on TV show kills one of three who tried to invade his home

An alleged female decoy for a pair of heavily armed home-invasion robbers was shot dead early Saturday morning outside the West Hamblen County home of a family featured on a television reality show, authorities say.

Hamblen County Sheriff Esco Jarnagin identified the woman as Holly Ann Repasky, a 29-year-old from Knoxville.

Scott Knight, who lives with his wife, Penny and three children, survived an assault-weapon barrage uninjured and fired the shot that killed the woman, according to Jarnagin.

Jarnagin says he considers the fatal shooting in the Timbercrest subdivision to be a clear-cut case of justifiable homicide.

"Scott Knight is to be commended for a job well done in protecting himself and his family because the law does provide that a man has a right to protect his home," Jarnagin said.

The .22-caliber bullet hit Repasky in the upper-left chest area, and she died as a result of blood loss within two minutes, Jarnagin says.

The sheriff says investigators haven’t ruled out the possibility that Knight hit at least one of the other alleged home-invasion robbers.

Some time after the 1:30 a.m. exchange of gunfire in Hamblen County, a black male walked into the Knoxville St. Mary’s Hospital emergency room for treatment of a small-caliber gunshot wound to his abdomen.

Knight described the men who allegedly attempted to force their way into his home as black males. The injured man, who reportedly was gravely wounded, underwent surgery Saturday afternoon, according to the sheriff.

Jarnagin says the man was under police guard, and Hamblen County detectives traveled to Knoxville in hopes of further developing leads.

The Knights were featured on "The World’s Strictest Parents," a Country Music Television reality show on which hard-to-handle teens lived in their home.

Mr. Knight’s wife, Penny, is a probation officer for the Hamblen County Juvenile Court system, and the Knights have taken in troubled teens as foster children for several years.

The sheriff says detectives are considering all potential factors in their investigation.

Jarnagin says he can’t rule out the possibility that the Knights’ appearance on the television show made them targets.

The sheriff also couldn’t rule out grudges that emerged through Mrs. Knight’s job or fouled relationships with former foster children.

A 17-year-old foster child ran away from the Knights’ home in March and had not been located by Friday afternoon, officials say.

The series of events that led to the shooting began when Repasky appeared at the Knights’ front door, falsely representing she was having car trouble and needed help, according to Jarnagin.

Mr. Knight was suspicious about the complaint lodged by an out-of-town woman in a residential neighborhood.

Knight retrieved the handgun from his bedroom before asking further about the specific nature of the problem, according to the sheriff.

When Knight returned to his front door, the two black males allegedly attempted to force their way inside, Jarnagin said. At that point, one or both of the men opened fire with assault weapons, the sheriff said.

Knight returned fire.

After their accomplice was fatally wounded, the two men fled a in a white compact car, a vehicle that could have been missing one hubcap.

Jarnagin says crime-scene technicians recovered a total of 11 to 13 shell casings.

Assault-rifle shell casings logged as evidence reportedly matched bullets recovered from the Knights’ home, according to the sheriff.

District Attorney General C. Berkeley Bell Jr. says a Hamblen County jury weighs evidence in all violent homicides. Jarnagin says he feels confident that Mr. Knight will be found blameless.

Bell says that in some jurisdictions, prosecutors have sought felony-murder indictments for suspects whose alleged accomplices have died during the commission of a crime.

The district attorney says that’s never been his policy.

Bell says that he’s sought felony-murder indictments only in cases where victims — not perpetrators — lost their lives.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

They should face charges as well (criminals that is), if not for their actions she would still be alive.

Woulda been some good shootin' if he could have gotten all 3 with a .22

Thank God his family wasn't harmed.

Just like big game hunting, it's all about shot placement.

He's damn lucky he was able to do some good with the .22.

That's not my choice for a gunfight but it's better than zero!!! (Just Barely)

??? How do they know, based on shell casings, that it was an assault rifle? Must be like the reporter that calls every weapon an AK-47!

On a side note... Good job, homeowner....!!
    Last edited by Boo; 05-27-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    :battle:

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    ??? How do they know, based on shell casings, that it was an assault rifle? Must be like the reporter that calls every weapon an AK-47!

11-13 shell casings were found. In a shoot-out, that probably rules out your traditional sporting rifles. Remember to the press, anything but your granddad's bolt action single shot can be called an assault rifle.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post

Did eye witness ever cross your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Did eye witness ever cross your mind?
    eye witness is the most unreliable evidence there is.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I was thinking more along the lines of Mr. Knight's first hand account.

I was thinking the use of the term "assault weapon" was a generic term. How about the part where the "technician recovered 11-13 shell casings." ??? WTH? Did he lose count, forget to write it down? Was it 11, 12 or 13?

Like I said, it sounded better for the story to use terms like "assault rifle" and "11-13 shell casings." Did you also notice that it said .22 caliber bullet? No where did it say a .22 LR... I think many people just ASS-U-ME that the story meant that the guy was shot with a little ol' .22lr. Hell, the "assault rifle" could have been a .22 caliber rifle, too. Probably was a .223 which is also a .22 caliber bullet. Remember, a .22 caliber bullet has killed more people than any other.
    It made for a good story though!
    Last edited by Boo; 05-28-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    :battle: