Thread: Mercury water pump

Default Mercury water pump

How hard is it to replace the water pump on a 2005 mercury 2 stroke 15 horse? Its never been changed and is starting to not piss like it should...

Ive heard people say its easy, but would like to get confirmation...

easy. get the parts from boats net. it'll take about 30 minutes. pay attention to what way the ear are bent on the old impeller to make sure you put it back in the right way. when re-installing the pump housing, turn the driveshaft to make it sit down on the impeller.

It's pretty easy on that engine DDS....follow D' tees advice an you should be good to go! PM me if you need some help. I work for a mercury certified dealer.

I had the same question about a month ago. I had NEVER seen the inside of my engine before. I have a 30 2stroke.
    I took a note pad and camera and documented each step so I could put it back together if I got confused.

It took me less than an hour even with taking notes and pictures.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

so i have never replaced a waterpump before.... whats the steps? buy a kit, take the lower unit off, change parts, and put back together?

These two videos helped give me a feel for what to expect. Your parts may be a little different but it will be close.

Last edited by Jozie & Me; 05-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Hell that aint nothing....... Thanks fellas!!!

Alright where can i order one of these kits from? I cant find it on boats.net... Maybe im not lookin in the right place....

Worst Marine I mean West Marine probably has em.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 05-10-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If you want to change it all you can but alot of the times just the impeller needs to be changed. I just bought an impeller for around twenty bucks, and I think the whole kit is around 50$.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

I would probably get the entire kit and be done with it. Better safe than sorry especially since it has been at least 4 years.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Your prob right might as well change it all while you got it tore down.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

dixie, what is the serial number?

i found this.... water pump repair kit.... 70 bucks.....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/me...2089A%205.html

impeller is 14 bucks...

$70 sounds a bit steep.

for a 30hp was $53 from the local Merc dealer. You can also look it up and order by serial number on www.mercurypartsexpress.com

However, there was only $2 difference than from my dealer on mine.

DDS, check your pm's

Good luck Whaler Dave

got a kit from the local mercury dealer... thanks for the help fellas! hopefully it will go in smoothly!
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-11-2010 at 10:07 AM.