Thread: outboard motor property tax ?

Default outboard motor property tax ?

I am about to purchase an outboard motor from an individual. I went to DNR website and plugged in the motor number and it indicates an active lien (which I knew about as it is financed).

I then went to the county tax assessors website to see if any property taxes were due or had been paid, and came back with zero - no matching name or motor numbers. I am thinking the guy has not received the tax notice yet.

My question is, if i buy the motor and property taxes were due during his ownership, will I have to pay his taxes and then be required to pay taxes of my own?

Thanks for any help!

If it has money owed on it I would not touch it till the lien had been taken care of.
    Unless you are going to take care of it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Call the county assessor where the motor is registered. Be sure to have a conversation with the lender prior to cutting a check to the individual...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

The lien is not much of a concern - that part is handled - I just don't want to get dipped for someone else's taxes as a matter of principal.

what year motor is it. Also is the individual military? The previous owner of the big boat was military and didnt have to pay taxes on the boat or motor.

If motor is an 09 and he bought it in 09 then he hasnt paid taxes on it yet. But since he was owner on jan 1 2010 he will have a tax bill come to him in October to be paid by january 1 2011.

If the motor is older I am not exactly sure why there are 0 taxes on it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I'm thinking the same way you are CTDS. The motor (2008 model) was purchased May 2009 - non military as far as I know.

I don't think he has received a tax notice yet.

he will receive one in october and you better get it in writing that he has to pay the taxes on it by january 1 2011. or call the assessors office to see how to properly handle that aspect of the purchase.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Chuck you are exactly right - whoever is listed as owner on Dec 31 is responsible for the property taxes if they sell the boat the next year.

Here is the explanation:

If your name is on SC Department of Natural Resources Titling and Registration Records as of December 31st, the County Auditor is generated a report in January, with your name, description of your boat/outboard motor. The County Auditor will assess this information and will forward you a personal property tax notice.
    Example:
    • Jane Doe is on SC Department of Natural Resources Titling and Registration Records December 31, 2004.
    • January 2005, County Auditor received report from SCDNR.
    • Fall 2005 personal property tax is generated and mailed.
    • If you sell the boat/outboard in 2005, you are still responsible for the personal property tax.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by RazMaTaz; 03-16-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Yep- I just paid mine this year for a boat I sold in January last year. I wanted to throw up, but he is responsible. However, if taxes aren't paid, the only thing they have as collateral is that motor.
    Duck hunters are fools, all of us. -Mergie Master