Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many CAT5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    9 months later I finally have the pipe in the ground. I went with one 3/4 and one 1-1/2. So my next question is which Cat5 cable to buy? Suggestions?
    what do you mean? color or brand?

I always thought CAT5 is CAT5 and there is no difference, but what do I know.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

General Cable is what I have on the truck.

Also have some other brand, but don't have my van so don't know what it is. I can't tell that one is better than the other. What ever you can get your hands on should be fine. Just don't by the cheapest, or the highest and you should be fine.
    Phillipians 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by dukhuntr View Post
    General Cable is what I have on the truck.

Also have some other brand, but don't have my van so don't know what it is. I can't tell that one is better than the other. What ever you can get your hands on should be fine. Just don't by the cheapest, or the highest and you should be fine.
    That's pretty much what I was looking for. Is the stuff they sell at Home Depot or Lowes OK or should I go to the supply house?
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 12-16-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Lowe's has it and probably in bulk as well. You could call around see who has the best prices but it probably wont be that big of deal
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Please don't buy the Lowe's crap, it's just that. Find your local electrical supply store, they'll sell ya some of the better stuff for prolly about the same price. Just don't get plenum rated, it'll save ya some coin too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Please don't buy the Lowe's crap, it's just that. Find your local electrical supply store, they'll sell ya some of the better stuff for prolly about the same price. Just don't get plenum rated, it'll save ya some coin too.
    Thanks for the input.

I think we bought some for work from an Electrical supply store when we got our new employee building. Also get the bulk pack of CAT5 ends, the CAT5/phone tester, and the Cat5 crimping tool. Since you will be making all the ends yourself just keep the colors the same and have fun. The crimping tool will be your best friend, because those CAT5 wires are small.

one of these and be done with it. just make sure you have plenty of ends

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000F786M2/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0[/ame]

dont order it from amazon of course but that is what you are looking for as far as testing your ends and plugs.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-17-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Yes Chuck I am going to have to pick up those tools. After I finish this project ( complete shop and office ) I will have more tools than I have never needed before. Eletrical, drywall, plumbing, framing, concrete and masonary. I'm an ironworker/ welder by trade. This has been a large learning process.

how much wire do you need? brand doesnt matter, realistically.

Ifn you were in the low country I would come help you with the CAT5 stuff just to get me out of the house. The wall plates are the most aggravating let me tell you, especially if you have phone and CAT5 on the same plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Ifn you were in the low country I would come help you with the CAT5 stuff just to get me out of the house. The wall plates are the most aggravating let me tell you, especially if you have phone and CAT5 on the same plate.

You must have bad tools,they aren't hard to install at all.....go buy a cheap box of Mohawk cable and be done with it,but dont forget that pull string,it will save you..............
    Last edited by ccleroy; 12-17-2010 at 08:44 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

My working conditions were the best and with the tool I was given (small screwdriver that was too big) made the task a little frustrating. The right tool and I would have been done in no time. I was the one with the better eyesight so I was the grunt on that job.

That reminds me we going to need a bigger switch, when I get back to work in January.

Chuck, we always used punchdown keystones at the plates and punched down the other end to a patch panel. We always did pretty large jobs anyways. Those rj45 ends are a pain. Even at my house I did a small 12 port patch panel in my network closet for all my cat5 and my cat3 for voice to avoid all those ends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I wasnt the Project manager on that job, so I had to go with what I was given and told. They wanted something simple, and quick that any dummy could troubleshoot or replace if need be.