Thread: Shotgun Question

Default Shotgun Question

I've been shooting the same Citori for EVERYTHING for the last 12 years, but I've been itching to pick up an automatic. I'm no gunsmith, so buying used for something that can be that finicky has always sort of scared me.

Do y'all think I'd be better off buying a used gun of higher quality, or a new gun of lesser quality?

Also, which is less troublesome: inertia or gas?

I know I just opened a can of worms, so I'll hang up and listen.

There is only one automatic on the market today and it is the Beretta Xtrema.
    Last edited by Fish; 03-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Chevy vs. Ford.

Your answers are going to vary by what the person answering shoots. Personally, I do not like a Beretta. The only one that I shot well and felt ok shooting was the Urika 2. I absolutely loathe the Xtrema 2. Takes forever to break down to clean and feels clunky. It does kick less than the M2 but I still think it cycles slower. That's not all that important really because who shoots 3 times in .00123 seconda anyway? The point is simple. Get what pulls up and feels the best. Also, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

As for the inertia vs. gas comparison... I have seen both jam.

there has never been any automatic built to date as reliable as an a-5 browning. i see you are shooting a citori so i can tell that you know a quality gun when you see one. as far something you can buy new i have not looked at any new guns or shot any in a few years. seems like the newer they get the uglier and cheeper feeling they get. and the more expensive. so i quit even giving anything on the new rack even a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

12 shots in 1.73 seconds. I think your cycle rate will be just fine. (end of video)

Benelli SBEII
    kinda like Yamaha outboards, you don't see any hyped up BS commercials.
    Just people that know, use them...
    “A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods and swamps that surround it.” -Thoreau

i wouldnt trade my benelli for anything
    Mossy Oak Swampbottom dew drop fallin Old Tom answerin a hoot owls callin.

I love my Extrema and use it for everything from doves to ducks to deer drives.

On a side note, I dont know who I would take in a trick shot matchup between Tom Knapp and Tim Bradley. I'd love to know how many rounds they fire a year.

I agree the a benelli is the way to go, but if you don't want to spend that much look at the franchi I-12. Its a pretty good gun, and it is inertia!
    My idea of fast food is a mallard - Ted Nugent

hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible. - Dale Earnhardt

Any one of the "B" guns. The one that feels best to you.

BOB
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Does beating your dog make you feel good about being a poor trainer?

xtremas don't fit me well. I'm a benelli, and A5 guy. Only downside of the A5 is they are kinda heavy compared to the newer guns.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I would stay away from a Browning Gold.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I can hear the groans now......, but the fact is that for hunting, I would be very careful with the 391 ( does not apply to the Xtrema or Xtrema 2). The safety button is long and not adequately protected by the radius of the trigger guard. It can be inadvertently knocked off by shoulder carrying the gun in a particular way. It is a safety design flaw to an otherwise EXCELLENT and proven gun. I shoot one at clays, but that is because the safety is never engaged in that game. Hunting is another story. Beretta denies it (reminds me of Toyota's gas pedal) but Coles has a fix for it.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by creekdog View Post
    Benelli SBEII
    kinda like Yamaha outboards, you don't see any hyped up BS commercials.
    Just people that know, use them...
    So much for the high road...

Apparently you are unfamiliar with Tom Knapp, Benelli's own exhibition shooter.

Tom Knapp,

Benelli's worst wingshooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    Chevy vs. Ford.
    Chevy just sayin

Neanderthal, just sayin'.

LMMFAO @ Fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    X2