Thread: Several Firearm-Related Bills Awaiting Action in SC

Default Several Firearm-Related Bills Awaiting Action in SC

Several Firearm-Related Bills Awaiting Action in South Carolina

The South Carolina General Assembly session is in full swing, and there are a number of firearm-related bills that NRA is closely monitoring.

While the focus, at this time, is on budget issues in the Palmetto State, there will likely be opportunities to advance our gun rights this year.

Here is a quick rundown of some of the bills we are currently tracking, both good and bad:

S. 347, sponsored by State Senator Shane Martin (R-13), would allow Right-to-Carry permit holders to carry their concealed firearms in restaurants where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises, as long as the permitee is not in the portion of the restaurant primarily devoted to dispensing alcohol.

S. 753, introduced by State Senator Jake Knotts (R-23), would establish a lifetime Right-to-Carry permit for South Carolina residents.

H. 3024, authored by State Representative Herb Kirsh (D-47), would amend the law regarding the discharge of firearms under certain circumstances. NRA is analyzing this legislation to see how, if at all, it may impact law-abiding gun owners.

H. 3298, introduced by State Representative Bakari Sellers (D-90), would allow a law-abiding gun owner to transport or store a handgun under the seat of an automobile.

H. 3659, introduced by State Representative Wendell Gilliard (D-111), would increase the penalty for simple handgun possession violations from a misdemeanor to a felony, as well as tries to define certain semi-automatic firearms as "assault weapons."

H. 3994, sponsored by State Representative Garry Smith (R-27), would prohibit the banning of firearms kept in vehicles while parked on property controlled by a person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity.

H. 4220, introduced by State Representative Mike Pitts (R-14), would permanently establish the tax holiday on firearms sales on the weekend following Thanksgiving, which is known as the Second Amendment Weekend.

No action is needed at this time. NRA will update you on these bills as necessary.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

Where is district 111?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Where is district 111?

http://www.wendellgilliard.org/Map__111.pdf

somewhere in Dtown Charleston, maybe some of you locals can better relate to the map

his website made my blood boil

"After graduating from Rivers High School and attending Devry School of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia, Representative Gilliard moved on to become a union and community organizer for the United Steel Workers of America at the chemical plant where he was employed. He also held an elected position as President of the local union (863) for fifteen years. These positions allowed Representative Gilliard to travel around the country organizing private businesses that wanted union representation. "
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

introduced by State Representative Bakari Sellers (D-90), would allow a law-abiding gun owner to transport or store a handgun under the seat of an automobile.

You can see where this came from and where it's going just by the rep that introduced it.

i like this one!

S. 347, sponsored by State Senator Shane Martin (R-13), would allow Right-to-Carry permit holders to carry their concealed firearms in restaurants where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises, as long as the permitee is not in the portion of the restaurant primarily devoted to dispensing alcohol.

Wendell Gilliard is an idiot, evidently.

Also, IMO, i hope the law doesn't pass to allow you have one under the seat of your car. The glove box or console is fine.

Mr. Gilliard is most certainly an idiot and in looking at his district lines looks like there might have been a little gerrymandering going on.

I can get to my gun much quicker from the console or glove box than having to dig around under the seat anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Any day where they dont get a single damned thing done beyond undoing what they have already fucked up is a productive day.

Damned pimps have got to have their names on something.

Jozie, that sumbitch needs to go.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

H. 3659 would suck. Worthy of calls and letters voicing oppostion when the time comes....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i like this one!

x2....it's to easy, coincidentally, to forget that you're carrying while you get dinner at chilli's

sucks to think you could be sentenced for doing a good deed
    Last edited by cleancutredneck; 02-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.

S. 347 is my favorite of the ones listed maybe it can be passed.

Wish someone would sponsor one for open carry.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

open carry would be sweet....

the lifetime permit would also be scccchhhhhhhhwwwwweeeeeeettttttttt!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

H. 3024, authored by State Representative Herb Kirsh (D-47), would amend the law regarding the discharge of firearms under certain circumstances. NRA is analyzing this legislation to see how, if at all, it may impact law-abiding gun owners.

This one makes me wonder?? It's one to watch, amending the law regarding the discharge of a firearm can go many ways.

H. 3298, introduced by State Representative Bakari Sellers (D-90), would allow a law-abiding gun owner to transport or store a handgun under the seat of an automobile.

This one is just plain STUPID!

H. 3659, introduced by State Representative Wendell Gilliard (D-111), would increase the penalty for simple handgun possession violations from a misdemeanor to a felony, as well as tries to define certain semi-automatic firearms as "assault weapons."

Another one to watch, I'd bet that "certain semi-automatic firearms" will be defined much like the Brady Bill defined them. (flash suppressor, bayonet lug, high cap mag, retractable stock)
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

http://www.scfirearms.org/

Keep an eye on this site. Their lobbyist, I think I am using the term loosely, helps to write a lot of the pro firearm bills. They help to track a lot of what goes through our Statehouse.

I think it is only $25/year to join. Well worth every cent.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

3659 is nuts.

I would bet it is intended for crooks but you just can't single those guys out so they go for all of us. Another example of the erotion of our rights.
    Last edited by rp; 02-22-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Any bill that has "assault weapons" in it is one to watch.