Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpeting my john boat floor??

Default Carpeting my john boat floor??

I have a 14 ft john boat and I want to put something on the floor. I don't want to add too much weight so I really don't want to put any wood or anything in it. I'm not really interested in the hydro turf stuff seeing as how I can get the outdoor carpet and glue it straight to the bottom for a lot less.

My question is, has anyone done this, if so how is it working out? Or, if not, how do you think it will work out.

Do you have a floor "skinned in" already, or exposed ribs?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I wouldn't do it! My duck boat had carpet in the interior when I bought it, took it all off and stripped it back to the metal and painted it. The carpet will hold water and mud and be a mess. Duck boats take a beating and are always wet & muddy!!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

The holding-water thing is real. You can get the plastic kind of carpet, but I wouldn't put it permanently in the boat. Which is why I asked the question that I did. If you have a plain jon boat floor, exposed ribs and all that, there is a simple solution. Cut a piece of good treated plywood to fit around the ribs, leaving a SLIGHT gap around the edges (like, the thickness of the carpet being used). Then, glue the carpte to the wood and lay it in. That way, you can remove it if need be (to clean under it, etc... or just to let it dry, which is occassionally beneficial. That also keeps you from pulling your hair out later from having to strip it out of the boat.

Another solution is that vinyl type sheet stuff that some boat manufacturers use. Dries quick, quiets up the boat some, and is cooler on your feets in the summer than bare metal.

Not quite sure what "skinned in" means but the ribs are showing. As far as duck hunting out of it, I prob fish out of it more and just wanted to 1. quieten it down some, and 2. make it look better.

Would the outdoor carpet really hold water?

I didn't want to go the route of the ply wood because of the added weight.

It DOES add weight. Stong sheet aluminum would be much better. Pricier, and harder to work with as well. But, the desired route. If I was putting in aluminum, I'd rivet or screw it down.

Some carpets don't hold much water. Others are like a sponge. The old style stuff that looked like plastic (the old green/black or brown/black) stuff wasn't bad, but would wear quickly.

Thanks for the responses, any more will be appreciated as well.

DONT DO IT!!!

My boat came with carpet and it is a pain in the ass. Frozen carpet is not fun, shrimp that get stepped on in the boat at night stink for weeks later. I am going to eventually remove the carpet and get the interior line-xed. You cant rinse the carpet out like you can a rhino or line-xed boat.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    The holding-water thing is real. You can get the plastic kind of carpet, but I wouldn't put it permanently in the boat. Which is why I asked the question that I did. If you have a plain jon boat floor, exposed ribs and all that, there is a simple solution. Cut a piece of good treated plywood to fit around the ribs, leaving a SLIGHT gap around the edges (like, the thickness of the carpet being used). Then, glue the carpte to the wood and lay it in. That way, you can remove it if need be (to clean under it, etc... or just to let it dry, which is occassionally beneficial. That also keeps you from pulling your hair out later from having to strip it out of the boat.
    this is what i did with mine.....the pressure treated wood + carpet added weight, but nothing too significant.....it helped deaden some sound too.....it's easy enough to take out and hose off after a weekend of being out......use cardboard or something to make a template with....then cut your plywood....cover with outdoor glue and lay your carpet on the plywood.....cut your carpet but leave enough so that you can fold it under and staple with stainless staples

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...993&hasJS=true

Don't really know anything about this stuff but looks like it would work better than carpet as far as not getting dirt and stuff caught in it. Might be worth looking into.

There it is. Booyah.

Those mats are made right here in SC.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Cleancut,

That looks great, what kind of carpet is that and where did you get it? Also, how thick is the plywood you used?

Has anyone used the mats? Are they worth the money?

it's just normal commercial carpet from lowes....the plywood is 1/2"....it'll flex on the ribs some, but not enough to break or splinter

i don't hunt enough out of mine to worry with constant abuse of getting in and out....fishing and some muddy weekends camping is the action this boat sees

plan on spending a whole day covering the floor no matter the way you decide to do it

sc moose has somekinda woven plastic/fiber/rubber that he painted. i dont know what it is, but the material looks like that cheap (home) airfilter material except it it thicker and tougher. he's used it for at least 4-5 years and its held up pretty good. and i know it is really cheap. pm him about it of you want more info.

Do your floor from a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" thick aluminum and rivet it to the ribs. You can thank me later. I've got some pics around somewhere of mine. It's held up for 4 years with no signs of wear.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Would the aluminum not be hot?

It gets a bit warm at times, but I just dump some water on it and be done with it.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....