Thread: Engine problem

Default Engine problem

So I get to the landing this morning looking forward to a good mornings hunt. I put the boat in and crank it up and she is running good as usual. The only thing was there was no water coming out of the back of the outboard. Any ideas as to why the water wasn't cycling through like it is supposed to? I ran it Wednesday and everything was fine. After the morning hunt Wed. morning I made sure to drain the water as always by tilting the engine down before leaving the landing. Could it be the impeller went bad?

Its a 75 HP 2007 Merc EFI if that helps.

How long did you run it? Thermostat prob did not open yet...pretty cold this AM.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

I let it run for no more than 2-3 minues when I noticed the water not coming out the back. i didnt want to take a chance of messing something up.

Depending on the motor, if it has a thermostat it may not have had time to warm up.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
    How long did you run it? Thermostat prob did not open yet...pretty cold this AM.
    definately a viable issue with a Merc but also possible you had some ice blocking the port as well.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

how long can it be ran without water running through it without breaking something?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    definately a viable issue with a Merc but also possible you had some ice blocking the port as well.
    Balling the port on the outside was clear from ice or any other debris. I made sure to check that out first thing.

probably had ice in it.because water is not coming out the pee hole does not mean it is not circulating. next time push a limber piece of wire in it to see if it is blocked with ice. about 90% of the water returns down and out the exhaust to keep the midsection and exhaust cool.

I've been told with my Yamaha 25 fourstroke not to worry too much if water is not coming out of the pee hole, that most comes out the exhaust ports. But, I still keep a close eye on things. Dirt dobbers are a major problem up my way with blocking pee holes.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I have the same problem with the dirt dobblers. Mine quit pissin about a month ago and it ended up being the impeller. Just put the rabbit ears on it or put it in a drum of water and figure it out.

If its not pissin with the pee hole cleaned out good and as warm as it is now I would check the thermostat. Take the thermostat out and put it in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens up. If so, probably the impeller gone bad.

Thanks guys

I just put the rabbit ears on it and the water is flowing through the pee hole. I guess it was either ice or the thermostat did not have a chance to warm up this morning. Thanks for all the insight.

Glad it wasnt anything serious.