Thread: Problems

Default Problems

going down the lake this evening and suddenly my motor started slowing down...then shut off.......tried to crank it back up but the best it would do was run for about 10-15 seconds and shut off....any opinions?...im thinking carb has trash or something in it.....anyone every had this problem....its a 95 mercury 25hp...

also anyone recommend someone that works on boats?
    Last edited by UpSouth811; 12-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.

What brand of motor, and what part of the state you live in?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Do you have a fuel water seperator? Sounds like might be water in fuel. How old was the gas in the tank? Did it have ethonol?
    Last edited by dukhuntr; 12-22-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Phillipians 4:13

sorry anderson......the gas is about a week old....and yea i think it may have ethanol b/c it came from bp....thats the 2nd time it did this...last time it started up after about 15 min....this time it wouldnt.....may need to pour that gas out and im not sure on the fuel water seperator

Go out and look in tank at night with a flashlight, if there is water in it, it will have shiney beads in the bottom of the tank. If you see that there is water in there, dump fuel start over.
    Phillipians 4:13

mine just got done having this problem. clean the carbs. its from the ethanol. Ive never seen my carbs so nasty before.

Ethanol is hell on outboard motors. Best steer clear of it if you can. Seems like every year I have to have a carb rebuilt because of the crud and I disconnect my fuel line and run the motor dry when I finish hunting.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

yea i just realized that all this happened after i left the plug in my boat and water filled it up and started using bp gas......going to pour all the gas out...glad this is only about a full tank of that gas i have used.....appreciate the help guys...
    Last edited by UpSouth811; 12-22-2009 at 08:25 PM.

my go devil did it on the opener. Ended up taking the water separator off and it was full of water. Cleaned everything and its been good to go.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

while im doing all this im going to go ahead and replace the fuel line and tank to.....they are little old so i figure just go ahead and do that while im messing with everything

I have also seen this happen if the bulb on the gas line. Might need to check that also.
    If I have to explain you would not understand! A turkey see's a stump and thinks it's a man a deer see's a man and thinks it's a stump.

Upsouth- go ahead and get a fuel water separator. It will kind of give you peace of mind.
    Before this season, I changed my line and fuel tank, also installed the separator too.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 12-23-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot

upsouth, go out to the station on Rt. 24, the intersection before the airport. They've got 93 Octane NON-Ethanol fuel.

I just ran out there last week with 5 containers so I've got the boat motor, lawn tractor, weedeater, chainsaw and generator covered. Add some Staybilt and you're good to go for awhile, as long as you don't have a separate water leak in your system.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

i changed the lines.....tanks....and filter out today........got new gas i dont think shell station has ethanol...not sure but it fired right up.....a little hiccup at first but once the new gas got to going in it ran fine .....so hopefully that is all it is......im going to get a fuel water separator whenever i get around to installing it,,,,

woodiesc you talking about the villager right?...and where are you located?
    Last edited by UpSouth811; 12-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.

It won't hurt to run some Sea Foam or Marine Formula Sta-Bil either.

I can't believe that a Mercury 25 is having problems. That is the best motor made.

Quote Originally Posted by UpSouth811 View Post
    woodiesc you talking about the villager right?...and where are you located?
    No, the Villager is right on the corner of 28 Bypass, isn't it?

This one is down Rt. 24 towards the airport, but on the right, across from the end of the runway before you get to the airport entrance on the left.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Use Seafoam. I've used the Stabil, marine formula and still had problems. A Suzuki and Yamaha dealer I know told me those 2 companies had sent him memos this year advising not to put Stabil in their motors, for what it's worth. Best to just stay away from the Ethanol completely if possible. On down 24 across the lake, Garretts, or what use to be, at the entrance to Portman, also sells non-ethanol gas as well.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

yea i live only a few miles from garretts......ive always called the villager the one on the corner of new prospect and 24.....ill prolly put some seafoam in it also if i have another problem

I agree 100% if you can stay away from ethanol you'll be better off. I would still run Sea - Foam though.