Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the cloud

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    killin a duck at 50 yards with #6 steel shot is 1 part skill 10 parts luck no matter how good of a shot you are.....

again, just sayin.....
    Again, you can say anything you like...and you'd be wrong. When you pick up a bird and both wings and both legs are broken and blood is running out of its mouth, you pretty much covered him up with shot. Hence my comment about NUMEROUS pellet wounds. Do you understand me now? I can clarify the matter even further if you require.

Simple, the whistling ducks and the fulvous ducks make their living eating rice. They're excellent on the table.

Right on.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Fish, do you think that the flite-control wad is a gimmick too?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Again, you can say anything you like...and you'd be wrong. When you pick up a bird and both wings and both legs are broken and blood is running out of its mouth, you pretty much covered him up with shot. Hence my comment about NUMEROUS pellet wounds. Do you understand me now? I can clarify the matter even further if you require.

Simple, the whistling ducks and the fulvous ducks make their living eating rice. They're excellent on the table.

yea, that shit doesnt happen with #6 steel shot at 50 yards with out a hell of a lot of luck..... i have always thought you were full of shit.... nothing has changed... no need for further clarification.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 12-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Fish, I am sure that you are a superior marksman, and I appreciate the comments about shooting ducks with their feet down from others. If you hunt open water on a windy day, the first "feet down" shot turn into a 45 yarder at the second bird. Thats just the way it is. I have killed 1 or 2, and I can tell you that there is a difference. I shoot kent 6's at wood ducks and smoke em, but those big mallets are a different deal, and black cloud works. if $25 a box is too steep, get a better job.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

i've killed a coyote at 50 yards with steel #2's. 35 pound animal. 6's will kill a 2 1/2# animal just fine at 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I hunted 30-40 mph winds Saturday, shooting greater scaup and redheads. Good sized birds. All the shots were 35-45 yards. Xperts killed em deader than hell. Shoot what you want, but if your losing birds the shell aint the problem. If ya'll think black cloud gives you an edge, by all means shoot it. Confidence in your shooting is more important than shell selection.

The bs is starting to get deeper.

Wife's giving me two boxes of #6 bismuth for FUCKING CHRISTMAS. Never shot it before, but heard good things. Anybody ever shot $3-a-pop shells and not felt ripped off?
    Last edited by Mobetter; 12-23-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: willyworm felt Christ had disappeared and the Christian Church collapsed because I used a contraction that scared him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Xmas.
    It's f-ing CHRISTMAS for crying out loud. Sheesh.

Take the Christ right out of it why don't ya...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I trust Fish's input - he shoots more shotgun shells in a year than I likely will in ten.

My thoughts and opinions, for whatever they are worth.

• I refuse to buy non-tox shot that costs as much as Black Rain, whether it's good or not. Plain ol' steel works for me.
    • With steel, speed kills.
    • If you are are shooting woodies or teal, anything bigger than 2 3/4 inch shells is overkill. But I still do it myself from time to time.
    • With good shooting skills, 2 3/4 inch shells will certainly kill big ducks.
    I went against my own advice and bought a box of Estate 2 3/4" shells the other day, #3 shot, for woodie shooting from the kayak. All I shot was a hoodie, but it killed it dead dead dead.

My favorite stuff is typically -

• For woodies or teal, 2 3/4 or 3" Kent Fasteel #3. 1 1/8 ounce load.
    • For bigger ducks, 3" Fasteel, #2's, 1 1/8 oz
    • For places where I might shoot geese, or even for divers, the same 3" shells, 1 1/8 ounce shells, but in #1 or even BB size. #1 is a good compromise if geese are around.

I think that, so long as it's high velocity, any of the major brand steel shot is good if it patterns well in your gun.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 12-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

estates here.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Just pick ya shots and put them in the head and their worries are over. I like my kents but have shot the black clouds two seasons ago when the first came out. First mallard I ever shot with them lost his bill and top of his dome. But he was at 15 yards. It's all in your confidence.
    "Keep casting"

Yeah I've heard great things about those shells, just don't have that deep of a pocket to use them. I'm sure the wad is worth more than those "flightstopper" pellets though.

Another thing, yes these shells are legit. IDK about you guys buy I cannot stand hunting public land for reasons like this...

Quote Originally Posted by PineIsland View Post
    I bought a box $23 dollars an somethin for the Black Clouds. Tried them out yesturday afternoon an they kill. Shot a woody at a distance i dont even know why i even tried but i did an he tumbled as dead as could be. Sure beat the crap out of the Xpert shells.
    YES, you dropped the bird! But for God sakes if you even question the distance then DON'T SHOOT! That's what real duck hunters like to call "skybusting."

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Fish, do you think that the flite-control wad is a gimmick too?
    There is no doubt in my mind that this particular wad produces a better shot string. Pellets are pellets. They do what they're told.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    yea, that shit doesnt happen with #6 steel shot at 50 yards with out a hell of a lot of luck..... i have always thought you were full of shit.... nothing has changed... no need for further clarification.
    Why is 50 yards a stretch in your mind? My guess is that it's because you know virtually nothing about ballistics and that your shotgunning skills are limited.

Let me lay it out for you. On average, a one ounce load of #2s contains 124 pellets while a one ounce load of #6s contains 315. There are 60% more pellets in the #6 load. Considering the range, the shot string of the #6 load will have stretched out to probably 12 or more feet with a diameter of 3 feet, making the probability of multiple pellet strikes very high, provided the gun was pointed at the right spot. Pellet energy, while low at that range, was obviously still lethal.

Your thoughts about me are irrelevant. As you should plainly see, that has no bearing on this conversation. So check you feelings at the door and stop being so emotional.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-23-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    estates here.
    X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

There is no doubt in my mind that this particular wad produces a better shot string. Pellets are pellets. They do what they're told.
    I concur. I really wish that Federal would put this wad with a regular steel load.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Personally I like Black Cloud a lot. I seem to bring down more birds with the Black Cloud at all ranges. Maybe it's the added confidence I don't know, but it's worth an extra $10 to me. Gas, boat, gun, waders, lease payments, decoys. After all the money and work put into getting a duck into fun range, I'm not going to skimp out on what I deliver to the bird.

However it will tear them up and close range if you hit them with a full load.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Why is 50 yards a stretch in your mind? My guess is that it's because you know virtually nothing about ballistics and that your shotgunning skills are limited.

Let me lay it out for you. On average, a one ounce load of #2s contains 124 pellets while a one ounce load of #6s contains 315. There are 60% more pellets in the #6 load. Considering the range, the shot string of the #6 load will have stretched out to probably 12 or more feet with a diameter of 3 feet, making the probability of multiple pellet strikes very high, provided the gun was pointed at the right spot. Pellet energy, while low at that range, was obviously still lethal.

Your thoughts about me are irrelevant. As you should plainly see, that has no bearing on this conversation. So check you feelings at the door and stop being so emotional.
    Never thought i would say this twice but Fish is right and 90% is the shooter. The buddy i hunt with, his dad always shot tungsten and past 50yards he would hurt your feelings all day long, not cripple duck, but drop them, so i guess he learned he had to shoot long range. He can take fiochi 2 3/4 and smoke ducks after everyone else quits shooting. It's all the shooter.

I did shoot tungsten #6's this weekend, now that stuff is nasty. I am now going back to work to sell something so i can afford more.

i was always told the cheapest part of the hunt was the ammo
    Last edited by buckpro; 12-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.