Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook this:

Default Cook this:

i have 4 whole teal....plucked. ready.

i have at least 3 wood ducks. breasted. (shame on me, I know)

i will be smoking a boston butt and i have an oven and a charcoal grill. I have plenty of wood, too. butt and other ribs and such will smoke while i deer hunt.

how would you cook the ducks? marinade? stuff in apple in em and smoke em? do the breasts on skewers cut up in hunks with veggies>?

talk to me.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i have 4 whole teal....plucked. ready.

i have at least 3 wood ducks. breasted. (shame on me, I know)

i will be smoking a boston butt and i have an oven and a charcoal grill. I have plenty of wood, too. butt and other ribs and such will smoke while i deer hunt.

how would you cook the ducks? marinade? stuff in apple in em and smoke em? do the breasts on skewers cut up in hunks with veggies>?

talk to me.
    sounds like you need to bring them to me and let me do em for you. in exchange ...... for lets say some free dental work. just bring your instruments with you. no need for Novocaine ...... i've been chasin ducks up here in the dead sea of duck huntin for a long ,long time so i'm used to pain and disappointment.

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

wrap them in bacon and grill

You've got one life. Blaze on!

Teal: Stuff cavity with a wedge of apple/cloves, a sprig of rosemary, and a wedge of onion. Rub outside w/olive oil, salt, pepper. Roast in oven.

Woodies: Marinate for 6hrs. or so in soy/balsamic vinegar. Grill only to medium rare. Make a dipping sauce of Grey Poupon and Soy - to taste.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Dutch oven.

Pluck 3-4 whole birds (Leave skin on this is important to prevent birds from drying out). Cut backbone out with a pair of gamebird shears. Season heavily in and out(I use Tony C's )

One piece of your favorite smoked sausage( I use Savoie's) Put sausage link inside each body cavity

Place ducks in Dutch Oven Breast side down. Pack the ducks in the Dutch oven tightly. Cut up enough onions, celery and potatoes to cover birds and fill Dutch oven up. Season again with Tony C's.

Add 2 cups H2O and a cup of Red Wine. (We like Pinot Noir from Oregon)

Put the lid on and into the oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees. Remove from oven. Ducks are done when a leg will pull away from duck carcass...

Serve over Rice. You can use the liquid for a gravy if desired
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Slice meat about 1/8 in. thick. Litely salt and pepper. Heat olive oil to medium. Let meat kiss the oil for only about 1 1/2 min. per side. Eat.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Hottamighty, Nitro. If I ever see a teal, I'ma have to try that'n.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Have any of ya'll tried to break down the meat in a little Coca Cola. Depends on the duck and if whole or breasted, but it works for me. I'd have to admit most of the time I just love olive oil, salt, pepper, and a grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Hottamighty, Nitro. If I ever see a teal, I'ma have to try that'n.
    A Dutch oven holds 6 or 7 GWT if you pack em.......

This is the traditional opening weekend dinner at our AR club.

Instead of wine, We sometimes substitute a can of Coca Cola and cover the ingredients with some maple syrup...it's sweet but damn good too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

With my kids and breasted ducks I sear in a pan with a little butter. Cook to medium pull out meat, nice dash of white wine, little bit of flour, salt, pepper, and then wip the gravy or sauce whatever you want to call it. Place the breast back in simmer, and put over rice or grits.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-15-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Soak the duck breast in vinegar 2th, overnite, then dust um up with anything you want and grill um.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I would make kabobs out of the breasts or do like skrimple said to do with them.

whole ducks I would put in a baking bag, stuff with carrots, onions, apples, and oranges. salt and pepper. put extra carrots, onions, apples, and oranges in the baking bag and cook it on about 300 until done.
    ps-you don't have to put the oranges in there, it tastes damn fine with just apples, carrots, and onions.

PS- forgot to add...add a little bit of something wet to the mix. red wine works, a LITTLE soy and italian works, pineapple juice works...whateve your tastebuds prefer
    Last edited by quackaddict; 12-16-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I know this isn't the direction you're going, but the best duck I've ever had was on Thanksgiving Day a few years ago. After frying a few turkeys, I dropped a couple of mallards I killed that morning into the pot for just a few minutes. I had to sit on my hands to keep from clappin' when I ate them. My tongue damn near slapped my brain out.

Nitro's concoction is one that I've used many times over the years with some slight variations. The red wine and smoked sausage are key components however.

Soak breast in milk for a while. Then take them out and take a slice of red and green bellpepper, onion and wrap with bacon. Put some worchesire (sp) and let soak for a bit and then grill/smoke. Don't over cook. Pretty dang good!

Here we go with the bacon again.

Last edited by Glenn; 12-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.

With the woodies- butterfly the breasts, marinate in a soy concoction, stuff them with jalapenos and phili cream cheese, wrap in bacon, throw on the grill for just a little piece. You will spat your pants no doubt after eating.

and what Nitro said for the little guys.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 12-16-2009 at 12:36 PM.

damnit glen...

them gals could stand eating a little of that bacon, though
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold