Thread: shotgun shell duck call

Default shotgun shell duck call

My father was telling me how one of his old buddies used to make a duck call out of a shotgun shell. I thought this was interesting was wondering if anyone knows how to do this?

summer duck call. sounds like a bird on the water.

Take a spent shell, cut about 3/4" to 1" off the end at an angle.

Seen my father do it and have summer ducks swim in from down the swamp.

That's the only way I have seen a shell turned into a call. I'm sure there are more ways.

We need someone to make a video to show how to do it... I know JABIII can.

Like mentioned above just start about an inch back and slice you a section out at one time. I'd post a video but ain't that technologicaly advanced. Maybe I will post a pic today after deer hunting.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

i've seen em before but have never been able to make one. i'm doing something wrong.

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

Funny this post is up. A chief I work with here down in Charleston told me about it the other day. He said all the "bird boys" in Mexico and Argentina make these and use them when he has been down there.

ive got a wood duck call made out of a 10ga shell from a guy whos company i believe is called muddy paws in lexington N.C.

Pappy,

They are very easy to make. Just slice a chunk out of a spent shotgun shell in the shape of a U.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

i'll try it again... thanks

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

Dear Lord Almighty, you boys must have started hunting last week not to know exactly how this is done.

Take a normal 12 ga. shell, and with your sharpest cutting edge, start the cut about a 1/4" above the brass at an angle that would end near the creases at the shell end opening. Try to make the cut as straight as possible.

Once you got your shell cut, holding the brass end directly in front of the center of your mouth and with the open end laying tight against your check and pointed at your ear, blow across the cut edge toward the brass. The air coming out of your pursed lips will cut in such a way across the hull that it will produce a sound not unlike a hen woodduck. You may have to work at it a bit to get the right sound.

Once you can produce the sound consistantly, you will have to learn to control it until you can make a sitting hen (round-up) call. If you don't know what the round-up call sounds like, good luck to you. The three to five note call that hens make while flying is pretty much useless. FYI, they won't come to that call. You may have had some woodducks come in after you made that call, but it was only a coincidence. The sitting hen call has brought the end to a pile of woodducks in front of my shotgun.

Fish nailed it.

I wasn't going to explain how to hold something against your lips, but the man took the initiative and gave the in-depth details and hit them spot on.

Now go out and listen to a summer duck hen on the water and imitate.

I bet you won't see a shell hull left floating in its entirety and many fingers will be sliced after everybody reads this thread.

Pics of one made like this?