Thread: Outboard Problem

Default Outboard Problem

I have a 98 Mercury 40hp 2 stroke with a manual start. Since i bought it, i have taken it out many times and never once had any problems with it. Last time out the motor refused to turn over. Nothing has changed with it since the last time it was out, except last time it started without a problem. I know very little about outboards so i really do not know what all to check/fix in order to get it running. Anyone had a similar problem and can offer any advice or suggestions? I would like to fix it myself, if possible. Thanks for any help.

-Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

pull plugs out see if it will turn over/and spark is were i would start. if both work i would check carb and see if stopped up my opinion good luck

I already gave you the best advice during the first season ... quit duck hunting in South Carolina while you still can and sell the boat. It will save you tons of money and a good bit of dissapointment. If not you'll just end up hooked, broke, and watching a lot of blank skies which pretty much describes my day tommorrow!!!! Seriously though, get it fixed before I get home so I can save money on gas ...

When i get it fixed we have to go shoot some ducks. I thought i might hunt tomorrow but no go with the boat screwed. I will spend the day trying to fix it instead.
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

You could go on one of the walk-in WMA hunts .... but then again I'll stay at the house before I ever step foot onto one of those dove shoots again.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    You could go on one of the walk-in WMA hunts .... but then again I'll stay at the house before I ever step foot onto one of those dove shoots again.

Nah thats alright... i"ll just sleep in. You know anyone here in town i could take the boat to that works on saturday?

-- Thomas Jefferson

I always take my boat to my dads friend Chris ... I got a number of a guy I used to use, dunno if he works on weekends or not, I'll text the number to you in the mornin.

Well outboards are pretty simple... air, gas and spark. Make sure all your gas lines are connected and no air leaks anywhere. If those are good move to your spark plugs. Make sure each one has a good spark. If each one has a good "stong: spark then move to checking you carbs. Can you describe how it sounds when you pull it or does it even try to turn over? And dont forget the simple thing, the kill switch. When leaving my hunting spot once I have pulled it a few times and then noticed that I accidently knocked the kill switch off. Good luck with the motor, I know how it feels to not hunt without a boat. I went the last 2 weeks of the season last year without my boat, but i had a part on order. Sucks trying to bum a ride. -TJ

It sounds just like it would if you forgot the kill switch... nothing at all. But the kill switch is in.

-- Thomas Jefferson

sounds like its not getting gas. is the bulb pumping up hard? have you tried spraying a little carb cleaner in the carbs while turning it over?

Bulb is getting hard, i havent opened up the carb yet. ANy tips on how to do it? or it is easier to just take it to someone that knows?

-- Thomas Jefferson

All you have to do is remove the intake cover to spray the carbs.
    Last edited by Redleg Camo; 12-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.

i would try overriding kill switch before i went tearing into carb

i would remove the spark plugs and check for spark. if its sparkin then its a lack of fuel. could be a filter stopped up also check for water in the fuel. i wouldnt tear in the carbs unless i knew wht i was doing. mercury carbs can be tricky ecspecially for someone who is not mechanicly expirienced

spray starting fluid in carb and let sit till tomorrow then pump up bulb and try DO NOT START WITH STARTING FLUID starting fluid will clean carbs

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm
    I swear by this site when doing maintenance or repairs on my motor. Great website with a great picture of your motor. I have a 2000 Merc 2 Stroke pull start, and if they are the same, take the cowl off and then remove the air box, should only be 1 bolt on top. Be careful when you remove it because i think there are 3 gasket. (don't loose them). Then wham... your Carbs will be right there. Let us know how that goes. We can go a little deeper if need be. TJ

Your gas line goes straight into the motor right? No other stops, like a separator?

Yeah. gas line goes straight into motor. I looked for about 7 hours last night for a website that went a little more indepth then mercury's. Plus i ordered a service manual last night. Thanks for the link.

-- Thomas Jefferson