Thread: Homemade Boat Blind

Default Homemade Boat Blind

Here is a blind that I had made last year for my 14ft monark. I had tested it out last season and put it through its paces before claiming it as a successful homemade blind. Blind material consists of 3/4'' and 1/2'' EMT conduit, Bimini Hinges, 2x2 treated wood, 4'' C clamps, 1 1/2'' PVC, and carriage bolts.

I used a pipe bender to bend the conduit and put in 1/2'' conduit inside the 3/4'' conduit and bolted them together for added support and to connect the two ends together. Used the C clamps and bolted them to the wood so that I could connect the blind to the boat without drilling any holes into the boat. Also the clamps allow for easy removal in minutes. Made slots in the PVC to hold up the blind, (Just a simple way to hold the sides up, wasn't looking for anything complicated).

The only problem I had was that I hit a tree on the last day of the season on the way back to the ramp and broke one of the C clamps. Pretty easy fix to go buy a $2 dollar clamp from harbor freight and put a hole in it. Here are some pictures of it. I will put some more up once I get the burlap and stuff back on it.

It looks good and saved a lot of cash.

have you had any problems w/ it hanging over the side of the boat? reason i ask is b/c i build one for my 14ft war eagle and i hung it over about the same as you did

I have the exact same boat, and just finished my blind for it. Our ideas are basically identical. only change is i used 1x1 steel tube where you used wood and i welded my c claps to the 1x1. other than that its the same. I like your style.

Looks good! I built a blind for my 1956 duracraft vhull. I used PVC and was easy to make. I took pipe clamps and 3 (1 1/4) pvc pieces and screwed them in vertically in the back, middle and front. Then i took 3 more 1in pvc that slides down in the 1 1/4 pieces that are screwed in. Connected those using 2 elbows 2 longer 1in pvc and a T connector. Drilled holes through each downward piece and insert a clip (pin). Covered in leafy camo and its was done. Then do the other side. It only takes a second to pull the pins, pick up, and reinsert the pin. It is light weight and works very effectively.

yea I only spent $100 bucks on the whole thing and that did include a $30 pipe bender from lowes. Upsouth I did not have any problems with the over hang. The most I over hang is 6 inches. I am very pleased with the blind and it can be removed from the boat in less than a minute.

I will get some more pictues up when I get the burlap put on it this weekend and it will be ready to go again for another season.

I have a similar blind, and do have the issues with the blind hanging over the side, especially when I have grass on it. The water will sometimes grab the grass and try to bunch all the material up. Had to tie the heck out of it to prevent the problem in the future. Also sometimes have issues with it grabbing onto the PVC roller on the side of my boat trailer when taking it out. Saved me a fortune though, and has worked for me so far.

i'm in the process of building one for my polarkraft 1571. since the back is so wide, it will stick out on the sides of the front as yours does. i took 1x1 square metal tubing and welded c-clamps to them for the sides and will be using the 1x1 square tubing for the frame too.