Thread: mud motor advice

Default mud motor advice

What is the best way to haul a long tail down the road. Tried to turn it 180 degrees and put the tail in the boat, but that did not work. With the tail facing behind the boat will it cause cracking of the transome.

Just need some more options to protect the boat and motor when going down the road.

thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Buster View Post
    how many ducks are ya'll gunna buy this year?

we only ordered 650 this year... had a few people drop out a the club

Why does the 180 not work? That is how I have allways done it wit ha long tail, and the only real way I know how.

What motor you got also what model boat?

18 hp go devil on 15ft wareagle, the tail hits the corner of the boat not allowing it to turn. Im thinking about getting a transome that sits up higher. Another way I thought about doing it is taking it off the boat turningit around and putting it back on but that would be a pain in my ass.

The tail is hitting the back corner or front corner? It should not hit either way something sounds ike it is not right.

You turning it into the boat the wrong way (possibly)? Sounds dumb but it will only tun into the boat counter clockwise. You will not be able to get the downward motion due to the handle not allowing you to push down on it to allow the skeg or shaft to clear the corner of the boat.

Problem #2 - low transom with 20" side boat - side of the boat are considerably taller than the transom. SOL or unless you can some how make a transom saver for an outboard motor work on the old long-tail.

Solution to above problem - ratchet strap the motor handle down in the bottom of boat to where the motor cannot bounce.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

I've hauled godevils for years with the tail sticking out and have had no problem. Ratchet the handle to the floor and strap the tail to the trailer.

When I had a mudbuddy it would only turn in the boat if you went a certain direction like someone else had mentioned ... Can't help ya further then that.

Thanks for the help.

I tried to swing it both ways, I reckon i'm going to have to get a transome saver or something to make it sit up higher. I'll figure something out.

You prolly got an older model or it doesn't have the swivel upgrade on it. Doesn't come standard on the GD's. If you raise it up you will lose performance by changing the angle of the engine in the water. Good luck