Thread: leak in waders

Default leak in waders

i've got a small leak in the crotch of my waders, not really a big problem unless i have to go to work after the hunt. how do you you go about finding a small hole in that area? do you fill them with water ?

last pair i had lasted 8 seasons. these are heavier waders and only made it 2 and half.

thanks in advance,

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

tradorion Coots

i do the "put pants under waders get chest deep then cover anything within a foot of the wet spot(s) with black 5200" technique...
    Last edited by tradorion; 10-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.

I've had good luck with Aquaseal. It's neoprene cement I get at a dive shop. Comes in black and clear. It comes with a little brush that I use to paint all the seems just to hold the stitching in place and keep it from snagging on anything. Put it on outside and inside of any leaks.

neoprene or canvas?

If neoprene, aquaseal is the ticket.

If canvas, throw them away and buy neoprene.
    He would have been nice next year.

"Heavier" makes me think neoprene. I had a similar issue with mine (neoprene). Pulled at the seams with my hands at home to see any point that looked like it might have a leak. Then I use some of the wader sealer stuff (hodgman makes some comes in a tube) and gob it on...if you arent sure, just do all the seams in the area.

they are redhead bone dry 5mm neoprene. thanks for the help.

pap
    if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

turn them inside out and fill the outside full of water, forgot hang waders up maybe between two ladders. you may have to squeeze them but this usually works to find the leak, and then repair

Use a flashlight inside the waders in a dark room to find the leak. Whatever you use to seal it make sure you push or squeegy it down into the area you are repairing. Aqauseal or 5200 would be my suggestions.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by TealTapper View Post
    I've had good luck with Aquaseal. It's neoprene cement I get at a dive shop. Comes in black and clear. It comes with a little brush that I use to paint all the seems just to hold the stitching in place and keep it from snagging on anything. Put it on outside and inside of any leaks.
    It's actually called "Seal Cement". Aquaseal is a different product; however, I think they are made by the same company.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

x2 on the aquaseal, a buddy of mine showed me that stuff a couple of years ago. He used it to patch up punctured Muck boots and I used it on my waders tough stuff for sure.
    In the morning be first up, and in the evening last to go to bed, for they that sleep catch no fish. ><)))*>

Found that vinyl pool liner cement work wonders on seams. Comes in a can with a brush like pvc glue. It stays flexible when cured thus work well for seams.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Aquaseal all the seams in the crotch inside and out and you should be good to go. I would have bet the house you had LaCrosse Waders. Had 3 pair of them that have all leaked in the crotch. I got tired of taking them back for a new pair and just dealt with the Aquaseal deal. They haven't leaked since!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

X2 on the LaCrosse, I like the product for fit/function & warmth but it seems like they leak after 1 season.

I 'paint' the seams up to the suspenders w/ Aquaseal and they are good to go.

ive got the same wader pappy they worked great the first year put them on the second season and the leak at the crotch but more on my right leg

Any wader that leaked in the crotch was a lost cause for me. Finally after 5200 failed to get it all, i tossed them and bought a new pair.

I am 6'4 with a lot of leg. If you can try your waders on prior to buying them make sure the crotch isnt halfway between your boys and your knees. Excellent way to extend your crotch life is to purchase a pair that fit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton