Thread: Why So Many Lost "Biggest Bucks"???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tradorion Coots

Default Why So Many Lost "Biggest Bucks"???

Boys- I have been hunting deer with a bow for about 16 years now. I have killed less deer than some of you- but i have LOST less deer than quite a few bow hunters too.... 2 in 16 years. One came about year 4 and one came in year 15... Oh- yeah- i lost one hog in that same time frame.

I like to laugh that i am in a slump for not killing a deer with my bow in the last couple years. Partly b/c i have not been able to hunt as much and partly b/c of having "lousy luck" but the single biggest reason that i am in a "no killin slump" is simply this- I let them walk when the shot is not right. Now you can bust my nutz for being holier-than-art thou... that is not my intention but if it makes you feel better for your choices then go ahead.

The key here is NOT that "i am better than you"- most people i shoot with are better shots than i am and many of them are better woodsmen.

The difference is that in CHOOSING to hunt with a bow you are CHOOSING a very deadly weapon but one that has to be applied WITH PRECISION and more importantly WITH RESTRAINT.

If the shot is "not quite right" if the deer is "just a little too far" if the light "is just a little too dark" or the shadows are "just a litte too deep" then LET THE DEER WALK....

What is the value of seeing the biggest buck you ever encountered in the woods run off with an arrow in/through him and you cannot say where you hit him????

Sportin Woodies nailed it on the head when we see yet another "Lost The Biggest Buck of My Bow Hunting Career" thread that this is becoming far to prevalent a theme in the Bowhunting Forum.

If you are not mentally geared to let the biggest buck you have ever seen walk away untouched while you sit quietly with your bow.... then go back to rifle hunting.

EDITOR'S NOTE- this applies to the smallest doe you would sling an arrow at as well...
    Last edited by tradorion; 10-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.