Thread: duck blind

Default duck blind

need some help, ideas, suggestions on how to make a scissor blind for a 14ft alum. jon boat.
    thanks

Some years ago I bought some bimini swivel mounts for my 16' two in front two in back. I bought some copper pipe and some u-joints and pluggen them in. Copper was cheaper then. I used some landscape tarp (black mesh) to stop the wind, and on the outside some cheap camo cover. A little fishing line and natural veg. helped it blend in well.

metal conduit 3/4 inch 4-90 degree turns there's your frame . conduit across front width wise and same for the rear. drill holes in the width wise pieces. bolt frame to it. drill six inches up from where frame is bolted to width piece on frame and six inches away on width piece. flat metal drilled out with kotter pins and keys go through for stability. this is all conditional on you having a hack saw!....j/k good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I got a similar prob i have a 14ft duracraft jon boat, but the prob is that it is a v hull. I been trying to figure out how to make it work, but no luck. Was thinking about making one that pulls up with pins instead of a scissor but just dont know yet.

3/4" metal conduit at a minimum, i made one with 1/2" and it sagged too much.

I have threaded bolts that stick out from the rear of the back seat and the rear of the front step in the boat that the bottom of my scissor blind slide onto and then a wingnut goes on to secure them from slipping off.

When the blind is erected, it is held together by two cross bars (one near the front of the blind and one near the rear) the crosspieces work as follows: There is an oversized PVC T that is slid onto each long piece of the blind, then the cross piece goes between the two sides into the T where it is secured by pins that slip into holes that I have drilled. They are easily removed and inserted to help put up and take down the blind.

The four vertical pieces that hold up the length of the blind will have to be secured to the outside of the boat somehow to keep the blind from flipping one way or the other in the boat (mine is secured with parachute cord that has a D-ring clip so that the blind is removable.)

There is also a tendency for the blind to want to shift backwards or forwards in the boat once you have it erected, so it is necessary to have some means of front-to-back stability support. My support is very crudely erected, and involves more parachute cord a d-ring connectors that go to the front of the boat to keep the blind from shifting backwards, so I would recommend engineering something better yourself.

Things to note:
    -Making and maintaining this has been a royal pain and involved a lot of trial and error.
    -measure where you want your front and rear heights, and then make sure you get the heights right by calculating the length of vertical you need on the angle.
    -Don't forget (and I screwed this up on mine) that when you sit down sideways in your boat to hunt, you naturally slide your seat to one side of the boat. This shifts both the height of the front of your blind and the rear of your blind (since people sitting on one side of the boat will raise one side and lower the other in the water)....and can really screw up a hunt.

If i could do it over....i may have just bought one.

Good luck

conduit and avery real grass
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Buster View Post
    how many ducks are ya'll gunna buy this year?

we only ordered 650 this year... had a few people drop out a the club

i have square tubing with c-clamps welded to the ends on the front and back of my boat (i didnt want to have the mounts in the way of shrimping, fishing, and whatever else later on so i made it removable) and the actual blind will be built off of those using more square tubing cut and welded to fit.

http://www.kwicklabs.com/images/Scis...d%20Photos.htm

Good detailed instructions w/ pictures w/ materials list.
    Last edited by Kwacker2; 09-26-2009 at 10:06 AM.