Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please use good etiquette in Arkansas

Default Please use good etiquette in Arkansas

I am sure some you you will blast me for this post but its the truth. I posted an arkansas update several weeks ago and several people commented that they were going out this year. PLEASE USE GOOD HUNTING ETIQUETTE WHEN YOU GO!!!!

I've been traveling to Arkansa sine 1986. In my opinion its heaven on earth. However, I hate to say it but over 75% of all conflicts that I've seen or heard about invoved hunters from South Carolina.

I don't travel 13 hours to get in a shouting match. Its real simple. Try to cooperate with hunters that are near you. If that doesn't work pick up and find another hole. There is 17,000 acres in the BM and over 180,000 in White River Refuge. Plenty of room!!!

Maybe one day when people see my SC tags they want we be thinking "Oh no not another trouble-maker from South Carolina"

whether its ducks in arkansas or fish in florida, fact is, this state is full of rogue redneck tools who have no consideration for locals.
    South Carolina has earned its reputation and its a shame.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Default It's not just Arkansas.

It's EVERY state we hunt birds in....some states just haven't had the unfortunate displeasure of experiencing our behavior yet. The reason I say "our behavior" is no matter what someone does on an out of state hunt, if they are from South Carolina, it has a direct impact on all of us.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Good post.

yep.

Dead nuts on 2reed. We also started in '86 and it was rare to see another SC tag in the Upper Vallier turn around. We paid attention, NEVER tree topped, and just tried to fit in. Got to know some locals and all was good. I have never understood why some idiot would travel all that way to jam somebody up and then sky bust their mallards when the whole point of flooded timber hunting is to get 'em down in your face. Hell, I actually caught a hen mallard one morning with my hands when we were sitting on a log waiting for it to get light enough to shoot. She almost lit on my shoulder. The other thing that has never been logically explained to me is why anybody shoots a hen in the timber. One indusputable fact is drakes don't lay eggs. Yea, it's legal, but why cull breeding population when you don't need to? Luckily our bad rep hasn't gotten to ND yet, but it's early...

Friend of mine says the same thing...

He's been hunting AR and ND for 20 years...says he catches hell sometimes "cold-calling" property owners asking to hunt when they find out where he's from. He tries to avoid telling them until he's gotten permission. He tries his best to impress them with manners, consideration, etc... He also makes sure to personally write the property owners who give him permission once he gets back home, and on return trips takes several folks 5lb bags of Lowcountry shrimp..

He's developed quite a network...even had a couple guys visit him here for some fishing...

All you have to do is park in wma parking lot to feel their love for us. I will not hunt public in Ark. anymore.

Knock on wood in 7 or 8 years of hunting in Arkansas I've never had any bad experiences or ill words towards me from any locals ... I've always had good experiences with everyone I've met out there, hopefully that doesn't change. I know what everyones talking about though, out there last year we ran into some idiots from SC at the boat landing and a seperate group at our hotel. It was sad to say the least.

99% of the groups that have squeezed in to 200 yards and tree topped ducks next to us when we have hunted the BM (since 1995) were from Arkansas. Most SC boys I know and hunt with make it a point to get as far away from the crowds as possible. Things are not always as they seem.

Most arkansas hunters dont like SC hunters, because they work harder, scout harder and hunt harder... Most arkansas boys are lazy and go to the same hole they have hunted for the last 20 years..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Greco View Post
    Things are not always as they seem.
    I concur. 99% of this so called "SC Bashing" takes place on the internet. When you get out there, the locals are cool people.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

No question SC has sent some renegade rogue's out that a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

i was deer hunting in Iowa 2 years ago, sitting at the local diner one evening talking with all the locals. they knew we "werent from around here", so they asked...4 of us, buddy says "me and him are from Idaho and these 2 are from Oregon"

farmer says, good thing you arent from South Carolina, they just busted a couple guys in a night poaching sting from SC, people arent too happy about that.

Alls it takes is one asshole to screw things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    true.

we've been sending them to the mississippi flyway by the truckloads since the mid 90s.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Well you can tell from readin posts on this site that alot of hunters from SC are assholes.

All it took was a few notable jerks from South Carolina to ruin our reputation. This goes way back.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    i was deer hunting in Iowa 2 years ago, sitting at the local diner one evening talking with all the locals. they knew we "werent from around here", so they asked...4 of us, buddy says "me and him are from Idaho and these 2 are from Oregon"

farmer says, good thing you arent from South Carolina, they just busted a couple guys in a night poaching sting from SC, people arent too happy about that.

Didn't some fellas from NC get busted last year? A big time bust?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

After living in various different states, I feel that this is the best state in the country to live in, I absolutely love the outdoor opportunities and the people here. I hope I never have to leave and plan on shortly starting a family here, raising children here, and dying here. However, out of all the states I have hunted and fished in the people in this state have by far the worst duck hunting etiquette. After hunting in ND for about 10 years now Minnesotans are nipping out SC's heels at a close second. Hopefully things will get better over the years as others try to teach our duck hunters the right way to do things!!!! Time will tell!

Ive never had a single problem in Arkansas.....and every state has its fair share of assholes.
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.