Thread: Bout brought a tear to the eye.......

Default Bout brought a tear to the eye.......

At our place in Bamberg - we saw five different coveys of Wild Quail......

Gorgeous sight- at least 15-20 little sparrow sized quail in each covey. Lord a mighty.............I will be whacking every predator I see to protect this feathered bounty.

We had a meeting Friday night and everyone agreed- no molestar.

Wouldn't it be a fine thing if Wild Bobwhites make a comeback. We are going to do our best to plant some goodies to ensure they have a chance.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Kill the coyotes,'coons and put out the good stuff for fire ants !

thats rare nitro, we used to have 2-3 coveys on our old place when i was in HS, they are long gone now. I used to love walking through the fields and have em scare the crap outta me.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I remember sitting on our front porch in Clifton (east side of Spartanburg) 20 years ago listening to the bobwhites calling from the power line through the woods across the road. There isn't much finer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

It was neat seeing those coveys, Nitro. It was REAL neat getting up two covies within 200 yards of each other. Now, if we can get a handle on those goats....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Heard some the other day at our club. It was the first time in years I have heard them.
    Keep talking and I am gonna put some south in your mouth.

I'm bringing the squirt gun ............If I run up on the rumored 30+ herd........ I'll give em all a few..... a Beta C Mag should make a dent in em.......
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk 182 View Post
    Kill the coyotes,'coons and put out the good stuff for fire ants !
    How bout hawks? They need a choppin every once in a while too.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Gosh, I miss those things...my daddy...and a bloody-tailed pointer....

the goats actually may be helping the quail... yall need to do a burn and kill those god forsaken sweetgum.

glad to hear it Nitro
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

We had a nice sized covey on our lease last year
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

Been seeing more this year than I ever have before..........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

My dad, son, nephew and myself sat in different areas of the club on Saturday evening. All of us came back with stories of hearing a lot of quail. Maybe we've turned the corner.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

tradorion Coots

Have seen and heard more on quail this year from contacts than in MANY years past.

BIZZZZZ- let me know when you do a little hawk thinnin (jus sayin...)-- although I agree- anything without a predator in the system can be a negative issue.

The single best place in SC i know of for quail has the most massive Predator Eradication Program I have ever seen.

TRAPPER- I might would disagree with you on the goats helping the quail. I hold with the "whole puzzle" theory on why quail disappeared- loss of fire, clean farming, fireants, predators, etc... but one of my pieces of the puzzle is that deer really started thickening up as quail were going down- they like young green browse and alot of young green browse is the stuff that seeds out that feeds quail-- wonder if that has an impact?!?!

TUFFY-- SHO NUFFFFF!!!!!!!! I used to get out for Thanksgiving Vacation and join my Daddy and Hagwood in either Orangeburg or Walterboro/St George/Dorange and DAMNED THE GOOD TIMES WE HAD... but always by the time i got there the pointers had nothing but a raw, scabbed up tip of their tail and sitting on the tailgate at lunch i'd pull the briars out of their ears after eating my leftover turkey sammich.

You boys all know what I do for a livin so I won't weigh in on the habitat soapbox.......

Glad to see a good hatch this year. More matches and a good two way disk might keep them around.....

My old 12 yr old GSP pointed three coveys on 80 acres two weeks ago. I've been managing this spot for 5 yrs and always had one covey. Hopefully a few of these new birds will stick around and establish a home range that overlaps my property......

I got REALLY spoiled in Missouri and so did my pointers. We had 97 coveys on 7,000 acres and most of it was out my back door. Good ole days....Haven't pointed a wild covey with a gun in my hand in over 5 yrs up here around Sedgefield.....

Wish I could have been around in the 60's when they were thick as flies! I was just a twinkle in daddy's eye
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)