Thread: 7.62x39 round

Default 7.62x39 round

any opinions on this round... I'm looking at a CZ V58.

In the morning be first up, and in the evening last to go to bed, for they that sleep catch no fish. ><)))*>

its what your sks and AK47's shoot, cheap rifle round, wouldnt want to hunt with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

7.62x39mm has killed a lot of people. I prefer it over a 5.56mm any day of the week.

Every AK and SKS I have seen will shoot it all day, even the cheap stuff. MOST of it is steel cases, and the bullets usually are steel jacketed with a lead core. The OLD stuff was steel case, steel jacket, steel core...

In about any gun you get chambered in it (AK or SKS variant), walk out the door of the gun shop expecting NO BETTER than the ability to shoot a 3" group at 100 yards. Some won't do that... some will surprise you and shoot much better. Very little can, in my opinion, be done to improve that. It will either shoot or not shoot, as is. You can dress 'em up, but it is what it is... a very reliable rifle that will shoot MOA (Minute Of Asshole) out to about 100 or 150 yards in the hands of the average shot.

Shot for shot, it is easily as lethal as a .223 - the 55 grain loading in 223 has shown some issues in how fast it incapacitates, especially inside 250 meters or so. But, the .223 is usually a more accurate cartridge, and that assists in bullet placement. The standard most people compare is the AK vs the AR platform. Both have their issues - to me, the AK is what you use if your shots will be close and you are possibly going to be in bad conditions (mud, snow, ice...), but don't expect it to be a precision gun. If I was a hostage, and had a good guy trying to shoot the bad guy who was holding me from behind, I wouldn't want my friend to be trying it with an AK unless he was inside the same room. The AR is, these days, a more precise instrument, but more prone to environmental-based malfunctions.

As a deer cartridge, with soft-point bullets, it is a 100 or so yard rifle. I put it in the same lethality class as a 30-30 if you are shooting good hunting bullets. I, too, don't consider it a hunting round in an AK - an SKS can be made into a decent close in gun.

What role are you thinking of?
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 08-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

anti-suburban assault... maybe some watermelons. Sounds like I could use the AR for deer in a pinch though, huh?

I don't recommend the AR-15 for deer, but there are bullet out there that would do the trick.

Do like I did and hedge your bets.... get an AK and an AR.

tradorion Coots

I agree/disagree with Swampy only in that i think the accuracy of the AK is often maligned. The AR IS generally MORE accurate but the AK can indeed do right well.

TRAPPER- if i may ask- considering the easier to find parts and magazines of the AK- why the VZ58 over the AK??
    Last edited by tradorion; 08-04-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Trad has a good point - the AK would be a better option than the Czech gun.... although the Czechs have ALWAYS made good stuff. Find a good Romanian one (AK) or similar. Mine actually does shoot okay. When I get my lockable DuHa box, it might go where I go....

We can go to Mid-Carolina and shoot it one evening.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 08-04-2009 at 09:18 PM.

it was a deal... but I'm holding off. I think I'll get an AK first then look at the AR's.

AR's are coming back down in price. AK's are probably best found at the gun shows or from someone "used". The bad thing about buying a used one is a lot of folks have shot corrosive or semi-corrosive ammo in their AK and didn't clean it thoroughly. You would have to field strip it to see the results. Chrome line barrels and plated parts gun down on issues with this, but it still happens.

Here's an example...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/RI1188-N.html

not saying the WASR is a good one, as most of the Romanian guns are considered "lower end", but it would function fine (mine is a Romanian SAR-1 that I got years ago).

Magazines and ammo should be on the list of things to get.

check out classicarms.us .....boss picked up the ROMANIAN MILITARY AK SHOOTERS PACKAGE 2 weeks ago......that weekend, the show was in columbia....nothing there came close to matching the price......we got back to town and fired a few mags.....crisp trigger

tradorion Coots

I have played with a couple of "custom" Ak's and the WASR that i hand selected (took awhile to find it) holds its own with the "high grade" as a shooter- now they are LOTS prettier and have some sweet plusses... but for a stone cold meat eater- my WASR is a bad bitch.

Good call on that Trapper- let me know if i can help in your search-- I likes me some AK's