Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick pup. Please help guys.

Bubba, I can tell you love that dog. Don't dick around, just take it to the ER vet. I've sucked it up and made the trip more than once. Don't take a chance with your buddy especially with it being a pup. Not a vet, just an opinion on what I would do fwiw.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 07-29-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I had a small dog that was diagnosed with Parvo many years ago. The doc said he'd probably die if I couldn't get him to eat or drink. After trying everything like cooked chicken, sardines, cat food, etc., I finally shotgunned him with some herb. Within ten minutes, he got all squinty eyed and wobbled over to his bowl and started eating. He recovered quickly and lived many more years. He never moved on to harder drugs.

Glad to hear he's eating and drinking!
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-29-2009 at 07:21 PM.

All of a sudden shes back to running around, shes ate a little more, and drinking water and pedialyte just as fast as I can put it in front of her. Not getting my hopes completely up. We'll see where we stand in the morning.
    RIP shooterchris

High Tide 1503 Super-V w/ 60 Merc
    Skeeter SX190 w/ 150 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    Bigfoot is not a "true gentleman " he is a "Damn gentleman "
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Mother of God SC is one damn fine ball team.

Bigfoot

Keep a close eye on your pup. A lot can go wrong real fast with little ones. In general if they can eat, drink and poo they are not in immediate danger.

I am the same as you. My dogs are family. I hate to worry so I got them on Pet health insurance thru PetsBest Insurance. It cost 300 bucks a year and has a 100 dollar deductible and pays 80 percent of all bills, from any vet. Even the emergency vet. It is perfect for just the situation you are in now. Do I go or not. I hate to waste the money but I would hate to lose my dog over being frugal with a buck........Just last week My youngest was just acting odd. Nothing really bad, but she was odd. She didnt eat dinner, so off we go to the emergency vet. After xrays,bloodwork etc. she had a pulled muscle. We were worried about bulged disk or worse. The bill was over 500 bucks. I will get over 300 back from the insurance company in about 10 days.

Check it out. It is well worth it for 30 bucks a month or so.

Keep us informed on your pup, I am praying for you.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

You don't want to let them eat or drink too much. That by itself can make them vomit. Keep her slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    Bigfoot

Keep a close eye on your pup. A lot can go wrong real fast with little ones. In general if they can eat, drink and poo they are not in immediate danger.

I am the same as you. My dogs are family. I hate to worry so I got them on Pet health insurance thru PetsBest Insurance. It cost 300 bucks a year and has a 100 dollar deductible and pays 80 percent of all bills, from any vet. Even the emergency vet. It is perfect for just the situation you are in now. Do I go or not. I hate to waste the money but I would hate to lose my dog over being frugal with a buck........Just last week My youngest was just acting odd. Nothing really bad, but she was odd. She didnt eat dinner, so off we go to the emergency vet. After xrays,bloodwork etc. she had a pulled muscle. We were worried about bulged disk or worse. The bill was over 500 bucks. I will get over 300 back from the insurance company in about 10 days.

Check it out. It is well worth it for 30 bucks a month or so.

Keep us informed on your pup, I am praying for you.
    Thanks a lot. I'll definately check into it.

Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    You don't want to let them eat or drink too much. That by itself can make them vomit. Keep her slow and steady.
    Yea, I've pulled all the fluids away for a little bit. I'll give her some more water in an hour or so.
    RIP shooterchris

You might want to try some white rice boiled with Chicken broth if you need to get him to eat again.

Shes eating a little, but shes drinking a LOT. I keep giving her some pedialyte about every 45 mins or so and drinks it all quickly. Dont want to overdo it, but I just want to make sure she gets her fluids. Gonna give her a little more before bed, and hopefully she'll have a little more appetite in the morning. More of the "puppy Maggie" is coming back out. Running around the house a little more, getting into things, and climbing and gnawing all over me as I type this. Hoping this is a sign it isnt anything too serious.
    RIP shooterchris

Make sure you get up a couple of times to check on her tonight.... take her out. Get all that bad stuff out of her.

Oh yea, gonna try to get up plenty. Gonna drag the kennel in my room tonight so shes right there.
    RIP shooterchris

Bigfoot

If more dogs were lucky enough to have owners that cared as much as you, there would be no need of the ASPCA or local Animal control.......Most folks would be too proud or too busy to ask for help.

Good Luck with your soon to be big black dog.

Bill C
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

and 24hrs later...

shes back to normal.

appetite is almost 100%, drinking water again and playing..all the normal puppy stuff.

gonna keep her on the antibiotics anyways. thanks for all the help and advice guys.
    RIP shooterchris

Awesome news, Bigfoot!

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    Bigfoot

If more dogs were lucky enough to have owners that cared as much as you, there would be no need of the ASPCA or local Animal control.......Most folks would be too proud or too busy to ask for help.

Good Luck with your soon to be big black dog.

Bill C
    Thanks Bill
    RIP shooterchris

Same thing happened to my sister's dog last night..... was sick yesterday morning and she took it to the vet in Florence. Vet said virus. It was still running around yesterday acting normal but not eating last night. Her husband got up this morning and the dog couldn't get up. He took the dog to my vet this morning first thing..... Parvo at 7 months old. Pup had 4 shots prior but still got it. Pup is going to be with the vet the next couple of days. Only time will tell.

glad to hear it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

One of my buddies had a dog come down with coccidiosis. It's basically a bacterial ailment that causes vomiting diarrhea, etc.

Pup had to get a shot and some fluids, but got over it.

I wonder how common these bacterial and viral stomach ailments are in puppies until they build up some immunity?

I know almost every pup I've ever had went through a bought or two of the same thing.....
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

There's studies that show if the last shot is given before 15-16 weeks that they don't have full immunity. Of course even then it's not 100%
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH

Went through the samething about 4 weeks ago.

Vomit, sqrting blood.

Ivs, overnite at vet,and $535 later,all is well.

Vet said sometimes dogs just get this.

Aceie will be 3 in oct.

SB.
    Last edited by Steve; 08-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.

My sister's pup.... well actually her 9 year old daughters pup just died. Sad day over there I am sure.

Screwed up part of it is the neighbor picked up a dog off the road that had 4 pups with it... felt sorry for the dog and took them to her house. The neighbor put them in a pen that you could see from my sister's pen where she kept their puppy. The neighbor's pups all got parvo and died since they never got any shots.... stupid ass.... My sister said that the neighbor never told her that her pups had gotten parvo and were dying and let her children come over and play with her daughter's pup. Probably brought the parvo over with them... if that's how it spreads.... one sick dog to a non sick dog. Now her lab is dead due to the stupidity of the neighbor.

It's a good thing it wasn't my pup. I probably would do something stupid.