Thread: Black scholar's arrest angers Obama

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Black scholar's arrest angers Obama

Black scholar's arrest angers Obama

WASHINGTON -- A white police sergeant who arrested renowned black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. said Thursday he's disappointed President Obama said officers acted "stupidly" without knowing all the facts.

Sgt. James Crowley responded to Gates' home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused and accused the officer of racism.

Click here to view the police report.

Gates was charged with disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday, and Gates has since demanded an apology from Crowley.

Obama was asked about the arrest of Gates, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.

"I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "Number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And number three -- what I think we know separate and apart from this incident -- is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."

In radio interviews Thursday morning, Crowley maintained he had done nothing wrong in arresting Gates.

"I support the president to a point, yes, I think it's disappointing that he waded into what should be a local issue and something that plays out here," Crowley told WEEI. "As he himself said ... he doesn't know all the facts."

Crowley did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Gates has said he was "outraged" by the arrest. He said the white officer walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

"This isn't about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates said.

He said the incident made him realize how vulnerable poor people and minorities are "to capricious forces like a rogue policeman, and this man clearly was a rogue policeman."

Crowley, 42, said he won't apologize. And his union has expressed "full and unqualified" support for him.

Fellow officers, black and white, say he is well-liked and respected on the force. Crowley was a campus police officer at Brandeis University in July 1993 when he administered CPR trying to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis. Lewis, who was black, collapsed and died during an off-season workout.

Gates' supporters maintain his arrest was a case of racial profiling. Officers were called to the home by a woman who said she saw "two black males with backpacks" trying to break in the front door. Gates has said he arrived home from an overseas trip and the door was jammed.

The president said federal officials need to continue working with local law enforcement "to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias."

"What I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," Obama said. "That's just a fact."

Gov. Deval Patrick, who is black, said he was troubled and upset over the incident. Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons, who also is black, has said she spoke with Gates and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

The mayor refused Thursday to comment on the president's remarks.

Police supporters charge that Gates, director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research, was responsible for his own arrest by overreacting.

Black students and professors at Harvard have complained for years about racial profiling by Cambridge and campus police. Harvard commissioned an independent committee last year to examine the university's race relations after campus police confronted a young black man who was using tools to remove a bike lock. The man worked at Harvard and owned the bike.

Richard Weinblatt, director of the Institute for Public Safety at Central Ohio Technical College, said the police sergeant was responsible for defusing the situation once he realized Gates was the lawful occupant. It is not against the law to yell at police, especially in a home, as long as that behavior does not affect an investigation, he said.

"That is part of being a police officer in a democratic society," Weinblatt said. "The point is that the police sergeant needs to be the bigger person, take the higher road, be more professional."
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Ten will get you twenty that that uppity fucker put his hands on that cop while he was showing his ass.

I doubt a veteran cop would arrest him over an ass chewing. He had to have touched him.

And his mayor is a spineless pussy for apologizing.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Yup! I'd bet you're right on all counts.

I like what the cop said to/for Obama. Basically tolt him he didn't know what happened so it weren't none of his bidness and to STFU! In a nice way of course.

"I support the president to a point, yes, I think it's disappointing that he waded into what should be a local issue and something that plays out here," Crowley told WEEI. "As he himself said ... he doesn't know all the facts."
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 07-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I for one am glad the reporter blind sided Oboma with the question before he had the chance to consult with his advisors. He has shown his true colors.

As far as Gates, instead of thanking the police officer for protecting him and his house he decided to try and provoke a fight so he yell racism and ruin the officer's career.

Oh make no mistake. He was not blind sided.

He knew that question was coming.

If that is the case then we have no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

And his mayor is a spineless pussy for apologizing.

EXACTLY
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I love the fact the our "master in chief" said he didn't have all the facts yet call the cops behavior "stupidly". We are headed for trouble boys.

If you read the report, the cop asked the guy to come outside, and then arrested him. He could not arrest him in his own house for being disruptive but once he stepped out side and the"public" can see it, he arrested him. I bthink this guy went to jail for POP (pissin off the police).

Man I am tired of this shit. So what some smart black guy gets arrested , but no, it is a big deal. You don't see a big deal when this happens to a regular black person, or white for that matter. I am just about tired of all this ego bull crap.. Who gives a damn, charges were dropped now stfu and go on with your life. Get off the racial issue! White/black/hispanic/alien, this cop would have arrested them all. Nothing makes you special MR. Gates, so shut the hell up!
    Last edited by Take em'; 07-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Suprised Jesse and Al haven't been heard from on this. They call white folks racist and they go around stirring up their shit, make money doing it, and get to hang the title Rev. on their name.

the colors are irrelevant, this is none of the POTUS' business.

The cop should have just tasered his ass and left him flopping like a fish out of water on his front porch!

"And number three -- what I think we know separate and apart from this incident -- is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact." This is what pisses me off the most!

Quote Originally Posted by MRoss View Post
    The cop should have just tasered his ass and left him flopping like a fish out of water on his front porch!
    x2
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly..." Funny, I never heard Obama call Jeremiah Wright "stupid" after his "GD AMERICA" hate sermon blew up in the media. I wonder if a black officer had arrested Gates if he would still be "stupid"??? Again, Obama shows his complete lack of experience as an executive by commenting on an issue that he doesn't fully understand. At some point the "we can do better" "America needs a change" and "Yes we can" rhetoric will need to be backed up with some substantial substance. Maybe Obama should go to whatever foreign country Professor Gates' ancestors are from and apologize for America and it's current problem with racist white cops. That would fit his MO thus far pretty well.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

yeah, lets hope no one else acts stupidly, especially not knowing all the facts.

he's got keys that enable him to blow up the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I can hear all the brothers now. We aint got to take no shit off the POPO. My main man Obama done said so.